What if I panic on the plane?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 10:36 am

Ocean- It did make me not want to fly again but I did it anyway and now it doesn't bother me at all. I was already in an anxious state to begin with though at the time so the flying didn't help calm my nerves any. Passion Flower extract is also good. I had a few panics in the air. Now it seems like it wasn't even me. I take pictures out the window and help other people distract themselves when they are panicking. Funny how drastically it can all change.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 11:28 am

MLB215,
Yes, Magazines would be a good thing, lots of pictures and nice short articles.

Mary,
that is certainly a success story! Congrats to you! My other roundtrip flight, I was able to look out the window, surprisingly to myself as I've had a fear of heights as long as I can remember. I just hope everything goes really smoothly. Last time, we landed in Chicago on the most windy day of the year (the news reports were raving about the wind). We circled above Chicago Midway for about 10 mins which seemes like an eternity. My husband's seatmate, who was an experienced flyer commented that the pilot landed extremely well for the wind. I'm glad I'd never heard about crosswinds prior to that, I would have been very afraid. Fortunately, the pilot was able to land the first time, I don't know what I would have done if s/he'd aborted the landing and re-circled! This impending flight has made me more anxious and I left a store yesterday because I felt dizzy. But I'm starting to feel better. Everyone here is such a wonderful help!

Ocean

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 5:50 pm

You may want to listen to lesson 8 before you fly bacause she deals alot with the flying in that tape.

I remember my first time flying after I started with anxiety. I spent the whole time in the airport pacing and walked around the terminal for like 90 minutes. I was so tierd when I got on the plane that I was able to relax and read a good book. Now my 2 year old keeps me busy. I don't have time to be worried about the flying, I'm too worried about keeping him occupied.

You will do fine, remember, the anticipation of a particular event is always worse than the actual even itself....it really is the truth.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Im with you ocean.Im flying with my daughter on may 22 to ny not a long flight 3 hrs .My son is graduating from school in New York .I even called him and asked him if it would be ok with him if a couldnt make it .. Of course he said thats ok i understand. But then i felt guilty i was like if my mom was alive id want her there with me so I am going , but im nervous too. I also have the what if thinking that i know i should not have.. I will pray for you ok and u can say one for me too..
Good luck,
Rose

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Ocean,
I jsut got back from flying to visit my son in Ky What I found helpful was to write a journal, while flying also I took along a word search puzzle book. Keep telling yourself it will be over before you know it and time will go fast GOOD LUCK

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 7:10 pm

first of all congratulations on doing something your afraid of. that's a really big deal.
second of all, don't forget those little cards with the breathing exercise on the back.
i swear you can't flip out and start pacing the floor and be arrested and be breathing in for 2 seconds...out for 4...i am calm, i am quiet... just like lucinda says on the relaxation tape all at the same time.

you don't have to get through it and look good, just get through it the best way you know how.
remember, your *trying* and that's a beautiful thing-it takes a lot to do this.
your doing great, and your going to be different this time, your making sure of it.

best wishes.

mmk22

Post by mmk22 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:33 am

My advice it to relax and experience it! Many of us with A&D have problems distinguishing between anxiety and being excited! You have some safe people going with you so you will be fine. If you have a panic attack on a plane you will certainly not be the first. Tell your flight attendent of your fear - many of them deal with this on every flight and are better equipped than some therapists!

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2008 4:14 am

Hi Ocean,

I thought your idea of taking distractions with you was a very good idea. You'll have your family there with you the entire way and you will have a professional staff onboard to help you.

Maybe the thing to do meantime is to take some trips to the airport terminal. I did this years ago before my first ever flight and sat there for an hour or two & just watched planes taxi to the runway and land. I watched people board their plane and tried to visualize myself doing it with them.

Ironically, I went to a book signing at Barnes & Nobles the night before my first flight and met a psychologist/author named Walt Gunn. He was a TWA pilot for many years and as Captain often had to go and help panic-stricken people and was very successful at this. The title of his book is "The Joy of Flying: Overcoming the Fear" ISBN 0-9618817-0-4. It is a well-written book and I would highly advise getting it to read before the flight and even take it on board with you. I'll never forget Dr. Gunn telling me "Now dammit! Don't let this fear thing get to you- you CAN do this. And when you get back from your flight call me- I want a full report from you!" Ha ha! Boy did that straighten me up! And y'know afterwards I called him and did give him a successful report.

So, get the book, go take the flight. I'll be here waiting on a full report from you! ;)

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 am

Thank you all so very much for your reassurances, I really appreciate it! I'm going to print out all of your responses, they mean alot.
Dlcottage, please let us know how your flight goes. I'm sure your son will be so happy that you are there and so proud of you. It is so hard to do something that we are afraid of.

A person pm'd me and she is leaving the same day as I am and her flight leaves at the same time and we are supposed to both get to CA at the same time (although she will be going to the southern area and I'll be in Northern). It is so wonderful to find friends such as yourselves who truly understand how I feel.
Sparkus, that is amazing that the pilot genuinely cared and talked with you after you flew. I will certainly find that book, I have another one that I read that is also very good that I am trying to dig out right now. I also went to the airport last time, but this airport is about 90 mins from me and I hate driving on the highway by myself, so I probably won't make it there, but I plan to leave extra early, like 4:40 am (flight leaves at 7:30 am) so I can watch a few planes take off. It really helped last time and made me appreciate the workmanship that goes into the creation of these machines and the skill of the pilots. The flight attendants were great last time, although I acted 100% normal. Hubby didn't suspect I was anxious at all. My mom's first flight on the other hand...a flight attendant came up to her and asked if it was her first flight as she could tell my mom was nervous. She gave my mom a little pin after the flight was over! And my mom was 50!

I am going to read your encouraging words every day until I fly and will think of you on my flight. I will make everyone proud and you're right, I don't have to act perfect on the flight. If I feel anxious, I will give myself permission to feel anxious and act anxious if need be. I'm not going to pass out, I'm not going to die. It's JUST anxiety!!!
take care,
Ocean

epa

Post by epa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:23 am

Hi there everyone I am getting on a flight tomorrow.I have not flown in 10 years. So I am very anxious.The flight is about 2 hrs. I used fly all the time until my mom passed away. So this is a huge step for me. I just do'nt want to freak out. I need to stop the "what if" thinking. If I could get a little encouragement I would so appreciate it.I wish everyone the best of luck. God Bless.
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”