What if I panic on the plane?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Ocean

Post by Ocean » Sat May 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi guys,
I am flying 2500 miles to CA for an interview on May 31. I am terrified of having a panic attack on the plane. I've only flown one roundtrip before and that was in 2005. I did OK, but was very nervous, my arms and lips were tingling from improper breathing. If I have a panic attack and have to get up and start pacing the floors, I won't get arrested will I? I'm afraid they will think I am crazy or using drugs or something (I never have, I'm afraid to take any type of prescription med as well).
If I got really really bad...do they give you meds on a plane? My mom said they do, but without a doctor's order, how could they?

Any tips for surviving this flight? My husband and youngest daughter (19 months old) are going with me.

Thank-you for any replies!!!

Ocean

Post by Guest » Sat May 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Ocean ~ the proverbial "what if". God, if we could strike that from our vocabulary. I have, at one point in my life flown all over the world. I have been in Airports where guards held German Shepards on shoe string laces, and carried AK 47s. I have been through customs in Egypt where everything was searched. Then.

Then came 9/11. Then came my first panic attack shortly thereafter. I thought I'd never fly again. As a photographer, a friend from Texas asked me, in return for a plane ticket to Dallas, if I would consider photographing his wedding. Everything has changed since 9/11. I was so stressed out over the whole thing I was actually hoping he would back out of the weddinng and I'd be off the hook. Didn't happen. So, what did I do?

First, I went online, and looked at TSA's website to find what I could and could not pack, take onboard, etc. I attacked it step by step with a list, planning my packing, planning my arrival time at the Air Port (I ended up waiting three hours before bording the plane) all because of the what ifs ~ NONE of which materialized.

I feel that by me taking the time to do research, and preplanning, took a lot of stres out of the equation for me, and I actually enjoyed flying. Believe it or not, I flew in the Air Force ~ Viet Nam era, and flew private pilot.

Yes, panic and anxiety do change and alter our loves, but, they don't have to rule nor ruin us. A friend once asked me a very poingnant question ~ "Who is running your life?" Clearly, if I am to survive, the answer has to be, me.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this, but I recently went through what you are facing. You can win this battle, literally with flying colors ~ trust me on this one.

Post by Guest » Sat May 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Hunny, no, you will not get arrested. There are so many nervous fliers and I promise you would not be the first to panic on a plane. It's happened before! I picked a friend up from the airport once and she said that the woman in front of her had a panic attack on the plane. It happens all the time! Use your breathing exercises and you will be absolutely fine. It's the anticipation that gets us. It's all the "What if!" thinking. 97% of the time it never happens. The odds are in your favor, hunny!

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 am

I would tell the stewards and or stewardesses that you are prone to panic attacks while flying. They deal with this daily. I actually had a very bad panic attack years and years ago while flying and they were all very nice to me about it. Brought me water and talked to me about the safety of flying etc. etc. I made it and am still alive and well! I have a feeling though your 19 month old will keep you well distracted.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 7:10 am

40 years ago they could not give out meds with the exception of Bayer aspirin. That was it. I doubt that this policy has changed but you can bring our own meds if you have them.

It is always the projection of a thing that is really worse. Your experience will more than likely be fine. To prepare just bring things along to occupy your mind. A deck of cards, a good book, laptop, tablet to journal with. Focus on your breath and not your thoughts. When feelings of anxiety arrive, remind yourself that you are safe even while feeling this. Have snacks with you and water. It's OK to feel anxious. Don't fight it. Remind yourself that YOU CAN HANDLE THESE FEELINGS. These feelings are safe to have. Watch them rise and fall. When you make them OK they will calm down and eventually cease.

If you have time (and the money, too), take one or two short flights and experience those feelings that may arise.

Write a success story of your flight. Write it out exactly as you want it to be. Read it daily for a week before your flight. Include in there how you feel some anxiety and how you handled it.

Tell yourself that you may very well have some anxiety but that you will handle it and then list the ways you will accomplish this. Bring your Stress Center material with you to read and the relaxation tape with a little tape recorder with earphones.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 am

Thank you all so very much for your replies. I finally booked the flight yesterday after saying to my husband, "what if I can't do it? What if I get off the plane? All of that money will be wasted!" He just replied, "well if that happens, we'll deal with it." He has no fear of flying at all, he said he would fly everyday if he could! I do think my daughter will distract me, that's what happened a few years ago when I flew and since we were flying with 2 kids, my husband and son sat behind me and the nicest, most talkative experienced flyer sat beside me, it was great because he was so relaxed throughout.
My grandfather was a pilot and airplane mechanic in WW2, I remind myself that flying across the Atlantic Ocean in the early 1940's was much less safe than today, not to mention watching for other planes trying to shoot you down! And although he has passed, he survived the war. I've thought about telling the flight attendants, once I told another student in college while I was having a panic attack and she asked me if I was crazy, since then, I've refrained from telling others since her reaction humiliated me.

I'm planning to bring tons of books and anxiety tapes (I have the Dr. Weekes cassettes too). We're flying on Southwest (because I feel safer since they have never had an accident-my BIL says it would make him more leary...that one is waiting to happen, I digress!), so no in-flight entertainment, but my husband is bringing his laptop so he can work and I can watch a movie on the plane.

Mary, Did your attack make you want to never fly again? We have a connection in Las Vagas, and I don't want to be afraid to get back on to make it to our destination! I am afraid of meds, I've never had any, but sometimes the Bach's Rescue Remedy does help, so I'm bringing that if they will let me on the plane (it's a liquid). I hate the feelings of helplessness I get during an attack, I fear that I will die and my kids won't have their mother. Ultimately I tell myself that I can't escape death, if it is my time, then it is...nothing can be done.

Thank-you all so very much. I wish that I enjoyed flying and wasn't claustrophobic! As a child, my mom used to say, "I would never get on an airplane, if it crashes, you're dead, at least in a car you have a shot." As a result, I've never been crazy about the idea (mom also has anxiety and used to have panic attacks).

Take care and I'll probably post again before we go. I hope you don't hear a newscast about some panicked woman on a plane caused a pilot to make an emergency landing!!!

Ocean

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 am

Wow, thank you for your post! I flew twice after not having flown in years, and was fine... then a couple of years later I totally panicked. It was on the way to Scotland. Ya, I paced a LOT back & forth to the bathroom. You know what?! You have given me hope to try again! I have dreaded it for 1 1/2 years now, but my goal is to try a 1 hour or less flight some time this year. No, they don't arrest you for pacing (I just kept going in the bathroom to cry). I don't know why it happens. When we landed I would freeze up & have to stare at a fixed point until wheels hit the ground. As soon as the wheels hit I was fine! I do have meds, but no, I doubt they will give you any on plane. I did have 1 really nice stewardess (yes I still call them that!) who gave me gingerale and an empty cup to pour it back & forth; this did 2 things; gave me something to do and the more you pour it back & forth the flatter the ginger ale gets which she said was better for nausea. I wasn't really nauseous but I did it anyway 'cuz it was nice that someone there wasn't looking at me like I was crazy! She was sweet. Glad you have a plan, and you have given me some ideas. Also, I have to remind myself when I do take a pill (Xanax for panic attacks) that I've taken them before & it was ok, so I don't get scared to take them. Let us know how it went, ok?! I'm proud of you. Oh ya... my father was an airplane mechanic in WWII!! He was in China/Burma/India. Take care! (P.S. My father in law flies his own little 4 seater plane and I have never been afraid in it at all... wish my hubby had a pilot's license!!)
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 am

One of my biggest things was flying, and to some extent still is. But my boyfriend lives in America and I live in England. So I just got on with it, and you know what? It wasn't very pleasant the first few times, but you just deal with it. You'd be surprised how much you've learnt from the program and how much you will be able to deal with it. We were coming down through a lightning storm, and my heart was racing, but I did the breathing and I was ok! Flying isn't a big deal for me now. One big tip s I can give you is DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU GO!!! Just get on with it, don't dwell on it, just step on that plane, and just deal with anxiety as and when it comes.
YOU WILL NOT NEED AN EMERGENCY LANDING!! Trust me :)

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 am

Hi again,
Thanks so much for your replies! Sybil, wow so neat that your father was in WW2, my grandfather was stationed in England and flew from there. I think another fear is because my sister has a close friend who's father died in an airplane crash. He owned his own plane (so a small one) and it was something like he was flying to pick her up as she had just arrived from St Thomas where she lives. I'm glad I've inspired you, that makes me feel good. I just hope that I have a really good report in 2 weeks from tomorrow (the day I get back).

Spunky,
I had to laugh at your suggestion, because you are right, but I am sitting here typing in fatalities that occur onboard an airplane! I realize the plane will most likely not crash, I just don't wanna have a heart attack, and I'm 29 years of age! That's got to be hard to be so far from your bf, but I'm sure it's great to see him when you are able. I just told my hubby today that my worse case scenario would be to take off or land in a thunderstorm...I am terrified of tornadoes. Eeeek! I realize that planes land in them all the time though. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Ocean

Karilynn

Post by Karilynn » Mon May 19, 2008 10:35 am

I really understand what your going through. I went through the same thing 5 hour flight to Mexico. It will be fine bring lots of gossip magazines. you'll be ther before you know it!
hugs&kisses,
Karilynn

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Frank Herbert

"How you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. And, so it is with life, which for many of us becomes one big test followed by one big lesson. In the end, it all comes down to one word: grace. It's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, darkness and the light."

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”