I have ridiculous "What if" thinking about other people

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
pixie06

Post by pixie06 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 am

i was 18 when i had my very first boyfriend and immediately i was paranoid that he would cheat on me! he never really did anything that would cause me to feel that way...i just couldnt get over it.
i had such high expectations of what he should do for me and if he disappointed me (which was a lot) i would assume he didnt do what I asked because he was cheating.
it hurt his feelings so much that I couldn't trust him...we were together for 2 and a half years... i blew it.. he finally gave up on me about a month agO. i was so torn.
i also had the same thinking about my close friends! that they were checking out my boyfriend or plotting to steal him from me. i couldnt get it out of my mind. it drove me nuts.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey pixie, I hope all is well since your break-up. I actually never had that experience of a relationship, but your Anxiety has just as much craziness as what I'm contemplating.
Almost 2 years ago,a good friend (at the time) ended up playing me, saying he cared, yet instead of being the good friend I thought he was, his current girlfriend did all the work by gossiping on her blog, saying I was obsessed and later stabbed me in the back. Guess what? She's 29, still acting like a high schooler!
My point is: If you felt like I did, wanting everything to be (pretty much) perfect, but ending up in tears since your expectations weren't met, your anxiety is controlling you.
Try not to "Sweat the small stuff". It's so hard when life spins out of control when Anxiety out rules daily life.
Life is a Journey, enjoy it! You only live once.
I hope this helps in any way. Take care. :D

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”