Sleeping Phobia

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Peace 1

Post by Peace 1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 am

Hi I am new to this forum. I am in need of some experet advise I have spent so much money on various types of therapy - eft, edmr, nlp, kinesiology and nothing has worked. The best that has worked for me is Behaviourlal Cognitive Thinking. I bought Lucinda's program more than 10 years ago.

I first had a panic attack in bed. I have two fears "What if I can't sleep?" and a fear of the fear of the panic attacks. I find it so hard to erradicate this because the method of distraction just does not work at all in this situation. I know that this is just a 'worry'.
I had a about a month where I thought I was cured because my mind did not worry - I actually had a crush on someone and that took up all my thoughts tee hee. But that didn't last. So I know that my mind is just stuck. After almost a year of battling this my mind is so used to wondering the same fears. I recently made up a mantra that If I have a panic attack, I will be able to cope.. that these sensations alhtough uncomfortable cannot hurt me and that I CHOOSE to relax and be calm. This has helped but I just feel so much pressure to sleep. Cananhone think of something better ? Please help. thanks so much Peace 1

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:43 pm

I had this issue real bad a year and a half ago. I got over by listening to Lesson 8 over and over, every evening on the way home from work. When Lucinda talks about "your body will sleep when it wants to sleep. Who says you have to go to bed and a certain time, etc..." Then I'd also listen to the relaxation CD every night before bed, and keep my I-pod by my bed and if I woke up, listen to relxation until I fell asleep again. Some times it took 3-4 times. I also just accepted that I have never been a sleeper. I'm jjst one of those people who has issues. Exercise after work too. It has helped me alot. Another CD I highly recommend it the Indigo Dreams for Adults. The deep breathing on it is great! It worked better than Lucinda's relaxation for me. Hang in there, you can overcome it.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Peace 1

Post by Peace 1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:06 am

Hi RoseThorn. Thank you for your tips in relaying what helped you. I haven't listened to Lucinda's program for a long time, but with your endorsement, I'll give it a try again.
I had tried a relaxation cd's from Amazon.com too but find that they cause me more anxiety because I worry about 'what if it doesn't work ?' ..big sigh. As for exercise, yes I exercise everyday. Although I'm sure it is very helpful it has not helped cure my panic attacks..

Recently I just bought an e-book on line and the author says that the cure for getting over panic is learning to accept our uncomfortable feelings. I just started writing out something called 'thought records' but since I just started yesterday I can't say whether they will work or not.

By the way may I ask why your panic attacks started in bed or while sleeping? Mine were because of illness. I then became afraid of the
panic attack symptoms themselves. Unfortunately the wonderful art of distraction cannot be done at night while sleeping so I think that is one of the reasons why this has been so hard to eradicate. I think I too have put too much pressure on sleeping.
Anways, I will listen to tape # 8 again. Thanks for your reply.
regards, Peace 1

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 pm

The true way to get over this is to just accept and not be afraid. There is really no cure. Acceptance is the cure. Once you learn to accept and not be afraid, then they won't come so often.

I didn't start to have them while sleeping. But I did get them at any time of the day, when I was having them all the time. Now, I don't get them too often and when I do I know what it is an how to make it go away.

The key to relaxation is to not try so hard. Don't have any expectations about it. Sometimes I just put it on and listen to it in the background.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Peace 1

Post by Peace 1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks Rose Thorn. Good idea about having the relaxation tape just playing in the background.
I'm thinking of just having it playing softly on my portable karaoke machine as opposed to earphones to my cd player.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”