Losing control?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Floyd

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks for the assurance. I believe it was just a nervous reaction to the thoughts.

not

Post by not » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Hello Floyd, and yes I promise, promise, promise that this type of thinking is a reaction to stress. If you were not this way before you will not be this way in the future. It is temporary. Think of it this way, as I have said before, ("the very fact that they scare you, is the very fact as to why they exist in the first place". But also keep in mind that the very fact that they scare you is proof positive that they are not valid thoughts, they may feel very real but they are not realistic. It may be comforting to know that if they didn't scare you at all then you may have some cause for worry, so reversing it somewhat actually helps put it in perspective.
Ironic isn't it? :?

Floyd

Post by Floyd » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 am

Yeah, it is ironic.

But I'm always feeling doubt.

I felt like I really was going to touch the person. I really thought I was.

I'm thinking, "Does that mean I was trying?"

I hardly even moved but does that still mean I was trying?

not

Post by not » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:16 pm

No Floyd,

I really don't believe it does. If you were really trying you would have acted and you didn't. It really does not matter how you felt what matters is what you actually did.

The thoughts can be very powerful just the same and feel very real and you can certainly feel like you want to act on them but you wouldn't.

Even if you started to act because the thoughts are just that powerful, I believe once you started to touch the person your anxiety would have subsided almost immediately.

And then all you may have felt at that point is a little embarrassed :o .

Going2getbetter

Post by Going2getbetter » Sat May 02, 2009 7:32 am

I have been reading your article regarding thoughts about loosing control, you are not alone I have OCD and have thoughts about loosing control,especially with my children I have thought what happens if I just lost control and lash out at them or do something hurtful, it is very frightening and has sometimes got me to the point of hidding knives or avoiding some situations in the past. I am not as bad as I used to be but I can understand your fears, you think your a loonatic and should be locked away. My thoughts are irrational but when you are having them they feel extremely real, I try to tell myself it will never happen and it is me being totally irrational but I would welcome other ideas. I am a loving mum and totally love my children, I am a single mum and have noticed the thoughts kick off at certain times of the month or when I am tired.

Ammy

Post by Ammy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Take medication when you lose control. Medication helps successfully to deal without lose control. You can feel alone,
don't make uncomfortable. Actually it helps!

brandonmississippi

Post by brandonmississippi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:50 am

I have these bad thoughts, also. Some of mine involve the most random acts of violence you could imagine. Things such as losing control, and breaking every glass window at work. Grabbing a paint roller and rolling streaks of pink paint on every thing. Just really stupid stuff, and for a split second it's like I would really enjoy doing these things. But I just have to shake my head NO, and walk on. Kind of have to laugh about it.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”