Please help-having OCD guilt

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
OCD_Guilt

Post by OCD_Guilt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:15 pm

I was diagnosed with mild OCD two years ago, but I've been dealing with it most of my life. I recently moved away by myself to go to grad school, so I think I'm having issues with my OCD because of the transition. Anyway, I'm having major obsessive guilt right now. My brain must really be digging hard, because I'm falling back on things that I said about 4 years ago to my current boyfriend that may have been a lie because I don't know for sure or not that I told the truth. Is this irrational? I feel like I should confess and say that something might have happened, but I'm not sure, and I'm pretty sure I told him the truth the first time. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:40 am

First, I've noticed that whenever my stress level goes up, I have much more trouble with my OCD. It sounds like you've recently made a major life change, so it shouldn't be unexpected that you're having more trouble with your OCD.

Second, I find with my OCD that my first gut feeling is the right one. You can talk about it with your boyfriend if you think it will make you feel better, but what your describing sounds like a classic OCD response and your fears are likely unwarranted. In my (non-medical) opinion, the best things you can do for yourself are recognize that these are obsessive thoughts and then use positive self-talk to calm yourself down. Don't let yourself be fooled by false doubts.

Be well,
Jamie
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

annika2009

Post by annika2009 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:29 am

I know exactly what you mean. You say something with the intention of telling the truth and then later, even months or years later, you second guess yourself. The more you second guess yourself, the more it feels like maybe you didn't tell the complete truth and the circle begins. And when you try to say it out loud to explain it, it even sounds confusing because you know what you are worried about but the other person has likely forgotten all about the conversation and isn't worried at all about it! I have been around and around in this circle many times. it helps me to try to focus on my intentions. If I have meant to be truthful, then I did my best. If something has happened that requires me to explain further for the benefit of the other person, I do it, but if explaining is only to make me feel less anxious, I try to avoid doing it because I know I am responding to an anxious impulse rather than a realistic situation. it doesn't always work, but I am learning to tell the difference and let it go.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”