Having to face things-1st week

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
earlydawn

Post by earlydawn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm

I think some others have posted that when you start the program, you become more aware of stuff. I'm in the first week, and the very first day I felt pretty good, after listening to the CD. As the week wore on, it's like some of my defense were crumbling.

Suddenly I'm aware of just about all of my self-destructive compulsions. I'm a compulsive spender, eater, smoker and I've refused to take care of myself emotionally or physically. As I became clearly aware of these problems, the depression felt like it had me in a stranglehold. So, that's where I'm at. I haven't given up, I'm listening to the CD, the relaxation CD, and I've worked in the workbook. This is tough.

earlydawn

Post by earlydawn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Feeling better this morning. The relaxation CD helps me tremedously. I've also started my light therapy (prescription) which makes a huge difference in my perceptions of life in general from the depression. I've had anxiety/panic attacks since I was a child. As I've gotten older I developed a lot of coping dysfunctions which haven't been healthy, either physically or emotionally. They helped keep me stuck.

I got the program because I wanted to know what peace of mind really felt like. I've been on mild tranquilizers and Paxil for years. They make me feel like a zombie. And worse, they keep me from coming to grips, like I am now, with my life. It isn't pleasant looking at your life with the blinders off, but the relaxation CD really puts me in a good frame of mind and helps me relax. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be really upset.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”