Obsessing over a minor illness

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi,
I find that I obsess over a minor illness each time I get sick. I tend to focus on the symptoms and wanting to feel better until I get anxious and a little depressed. For instance, I am dealing with a minor illness right now, and I am focusing on the way I feel, and wanting to get better. When I see other people that are feeling good and having fun while I am not feeling so great, I get a little depressed. It is like, I just do lots of "what-iffing" and focusing on my present situation or illness. :(
I should know from experience that I will get better and that everyone doesn't feel their best all the time. :?

Can anyone relate?
Last edited by BookOfPsalms on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:18 am

Yes I can relate to this I can have a ache and the next thing I no I am having a heart attack I can have a stomach ache and I have colon cancer whatever the syptom I have it.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 am

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I am trying to not think like this, but honestly I was not feeling anything similar to what I am feeling now. I was actually feeling good, but just had a minor illness (bladder infection). I went to the doctor and got home and seems like I started to feel worse than before I went to the doctor! I started noticing more symptoms and also wondering if I have another symptom of something totally different! It is terrible. I am now feeling drained because I think I have worried way to much over this.
I also had a side effect from one of the meds I was given, so that sent the anxiety WAY up! I have just been a nervous wreck it seems.
Well, glad you replied...thanks! :)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 am

Psalms, I am the SAME way!! I can have a sinus headache and I'm what iffing about brain tumors! When I start thinking like this, I grab my bible and start reading! I live in Florida so anytime of year I'm able to go outside into the sunshine with my bible and read while I breathe in the fresh air. Every so often I'll look up from the text and zone in on the birds chirping or sound of crickets - taking in God's world is very therapeutic, especially under times of great anxiety! This always clears my mind and makes the anxiety more manageable. Feel better soon... :)

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 pm

That is so true Celeste! Florida sounds great! I am NC. Well, the Word of God is always soothing. I was at a doctor's appointment today and I was anxious but I got my Prayer book out and started to read some confessions and I could feel that I was getting much more calm. I knew that I needed to calm myself down and the only thing I knew was to call on Jesus, so I took that book with me inside and it really helped a lot.
Everything turned out great and I was much more calm! :)
The sound of birds chirping are so relaxing, and the sound of crickets...wow.
You are right, and I must agree...God's word is very therapeutic. :)

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 am

Good Morning BOP, :) :) :)
I thought I would let you know that cranberry juice and water are very good for kidney infections!!!

My daughter is very prone to these type of infections and when she gets one, I just buy some cranberry juice and she drinks it and gets better!!!

Remember, we can conjure any type of image up in our mind, but that doesn't mean it is true..

In fact, I would say that almost all of the "negative" thoughts which pop into our minds are "false"...

I think you need to refresh your self on the program on how to replace the "what ifs" with "so what if"....

I pray you have a beautiful day filled with much sunshine and joy...Love Ya Dearly, Cloie

BTW: Reading the Bible is a "great way" to alleviate those fears!!! So, I am going to give you a "thumbs up" my dear friend and sister in Christ Jesus!!!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”