Constant Counting

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Seeking Help Jen

Post by Seeking Help Jen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:09 am

I am constantly counting and having repetative thoughts - - the number of steps I walk up, the seconds it takes me to wash my hands, the same songs over and over. Sometimes I even equate the number of steps I walk up to the number of years I'm going to live. I know this sounds horribly funny and I never considered myself compulsive, but is this a sign and how do I stop.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 am

This is obsessive behavior that you can definitely stop. You have to just decide to not count anymore. There will be uncomfortable feelings with this decision but stick with your decision to not count anyway. The discomfort will pass. Have things to do to keep yourself busy while you do this. Clean out closests, refrigerator. Mop the floor. Read a book. Garden. Walk your dog. Clean the bird cage. Arranging and rearranging cabinets in the kitchen. Knit. Eventually you will see that you don't need to count anymore. You'll lose the desire to do this. So don't count steps, don't count tiles in the ceiling, don't count how often you touch the doorknob, stop touching the doorknob more that one time, stop counting your footsteps, stop washing your hands obsessively, stop counting the seconds it takes to wash your hands. When anxiety comes along (and it will) because you are not counting any longer, stay with the anxiety. Demand more infact. Don't resist it. It will subside.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”