Diagnosed with OCD and having scary thoughts - please help!

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

Hey! I am so sorry to hear it's been bad for you lately. I'm sure the lack of sleep def doesn't help, but I know that is hard to control.

I've worried to that these thoughts are revealing the "true" me and even was half convincing myself I am a sick and twisted person. I had to remember I haven't done ANYTHING, I've just had thoughts I don't want to have. We don;t like these thoughts, they scare us, and we would love to never have them again. I think that shows it's not the true us, it's just OCD.

I've been trying to look at the definition of OCD, which is unwanted, intrusive, persistent thoughts. When I have a scary thought or image, I think if it meets these things. If it does that I label it as OCD and try to move on. I try to stop "checking" myself by asking if I want to do these things or like these things, I just move on.

My therapist also recommended I write down my thought or worry and then what I did to cope with it. I think that may have helped. She said it's not necessary anymore, but I might still do it because it show a pattern of how you think and react.

I understand the foggy/hazy state. You don;t feel like yourself. You feel out of it and spacey. It can be scary, but I try to remind myself that this is just anxiety and to roll with it until it passes. That seems to help it go away quicker!

Hang in there. Talk to anybody you can. My boyfriend has been so patient and supportive and I know that has helped.

It will get better!!! I'll pray for you!

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Hello, we were mean't to chat. Thank you lord, for this forum. I too have dealt with scary thoughts, my first experince was over 12yrs ago, I just moved, new job, new everything, and 6 months later for no reason, I just started obsessing, and having scary thoughts about hurting my fiance', I couldn't wash knives, couldn't look at scissors. and if I was the first person at a red light I would panic at the thought of "if I take my foot off the brake my car will fly into traffic and 4 lanes of people will Die" and that would send me into a panic attack.
Let me say, once I shared these scary thoughts w/ my fiance " he just looked at me like 'yeah', I've had those thoughts too. I just don't dwell on them like you do.
Eureka! We are just super sensitive people, regular non ocd, non anxiety people just brush the thought off and keep going. We pull the perverbial emergency brake on scary thoughts and dwell, pick and stare, we pop popcorn and watch them on a big screen over and over till we freak ourselves out. Others just let them fly on bye.

Over the last 12 years, I've had really good times and felt great, and now and then I deal with these recurrent thoughts. they are fewer and farther inbetween. But sometimes small stresses build up and these thoughts creep in.
I'm currently getting over the flu, one of my littles is also sick, I've lack of sleep and more than a few stressful things going on. So instead of thinking about our real problems, and real stresses,, I'm obsessing over whether I could lose control and hurt my children, or spouse, etc.

I once had a therapist tell me, Don't believe everthing you think'. when lifes stresses build up, our brain will pull a 180 and think about the most outlandish scary, distracting thing, in order to give ourselves a break from thinking about our REAL problems, issues etc. I hope this helped. You both helped me, I came here tonite, praying lord, I needed help, and you two were on here discussing, reminding me we're not alone, we all go through it and honestly 12 yrs have gone bye and I still haven't hurt anything or anyone. It's just anxiety, and if you don't already have the book, the book " panic to power ' by lucinda bassett is my personal favorite. Many blessing to you all. hang in there, and replace those scary thoughts with postive talk and then distract yourself. sweet dreams.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for your response! Not that I would ever want anyone to think these thoughts, but it is reassuring to know others feel the way you do.

I feel like I am getting better, but I worry that I'll just let my guard down and all the thoughts and fears will come rushing back. I am still seeing a therapist so that I can get over this for good, and so if it does come back in the future, I'll be better able to handle it.

Similar to what your therapist said, my therapist said that OCD is all lies. When I thought about that I realized it was true. Not one of my obsessions was like me and people don;t just completely change in a few weeks. I've been trying to invert truth when OCD lies come up.

It is nice to have this forum to share and connect with each other! My prayers are with you!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:15 pm

I really appreciated your thoughts on OCD, I haven't been diagnosed with that, but I have some scary obsessive thoughts at times.I love the saying, "Don't believe everything you think." I am new to this board and center and think Lucinda is wonderful. My "attacks" occur around 2-3pm usually, when a "FOG" seems to come over me., and I feel sleazy about myself. I realize this is baggage from the incest I survived, and I do not validate or act on the thoughts, but they lower my confidence, and make me fear becoming really mentally ill. Thank God for websites like this!
GarnetByrd

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey! I totally get the 2-3 "fog". I think it's totally normal! I got through it just about every day, especially at work.

I, too, worry about becoming mentally ill. It has really helped to see a therapist who can gauge what you have and what you don't. Plus, I don;t think that people with serious mental illnesses worry about getting them.

Hang in there, and try not to let your self-confidence falter. Remember what a wonderful person you are and make sure to make time for you! Take care!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:20 am

Hello, my name is Amanda.and i am so terrified just writing this because i feel like no one feels they way i do. So here it gos i am constantly scared of natural disasters. hurricanes tornadoes earthquakes and the world coming to an end. i have been scared of this for years and then i saw the previews for that movie 2012 and now i am so scared i think i am going to loose it. dose anyone els ever fear these things or am i really going crazy. PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:38 am

Hi there Amanda!

I don't have this particular problem but my brother does. We often discuss 2012 and all that jazz - trust me, you are not alone. The reason people fear this so much is because it is something we cannot stop, however, that does not mean it will happen.

There are hundreds of unfulfilled prophecies and we, as a society, tend to have a way of looking at something the way we want it, of manipulating facts and stories to make it as disastrous as possible - for some reason, society thrives on doom. When my mother was little it was believed that the alignment of the planets would mean the world's end - we're still here!

I wouldn't get too worked up over that sort of thing - the movie, for one, was terrible and extremely unrealistic. Also, the origin of this 2012 stuff is very shady! We do not actually know that much about the Mayans as all of their most important and revealing texts were burned, we really shouldn't go interpreting things we don't really know too much about.

As for natural disasters, where do you live, if I may ask? I have lived in Illinois, Florida AND California in my life time and have seen earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes and it wasn't all that bad - it depends on where you live but nowhere are you likely to see a battery of these disasters.

Anyway, you are not alone - why do you think this 2012 business is so big right now!? You are not crazy at all - just know this end of the word business isn't coming from too much fact.

Hope this helps even a little,
Love this Life :)

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”