Anxiety about Relationships

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
falconea1

Anxiety about Relationships

Post by falconea1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi all,

3 months ago I abruptly broke up with my girlfriend because she wanted to take things to the next level. We dated for 1 year. I've always had a fear of commitment, intimacy, sex, etc. I also find it extremely hard to say the words "I love you", and feel as if my anxiety prevents me from fully feeling love.

Anyway, to have found myself in a 1+ year relationship was a great accomplishment for me. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough - because eventually, a relationship has to grow and there was only so far I could go. Mind you, this was my first real serious adult relationship. I am 33 years old.

My fear is that I will never fall in love, or be in a relationship again (they seem very ill-fitting to me), etc. Just thinking about the topic gives me anxiety and I tend to think way into the future when maybe I shouldn't. I want to have a family one day but don't know how to get there. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I miss my ex too and feel guilt for what I did. I don't want to keep running from love. Advice? This is all I obsess about.

randy c.

Re: Anxiety about Relationships

Post by randy c. » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 am

Falcon, welcome to the program. If you feel guilty about the way you left things with your ex maybe you could talk with her and give her an explanation of your situation.That will help your guilt and anxiety I think. You say you fear not falling in love,fear is also anxiety and this program works well for this.Good luck and use the forums they are a wealth of info, stop by the chat room and I suggest writing in your journal it really does work. ;)

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”