Anyone Beaten this type of Obsession?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
jimmy256

Anyone Beaten this type of Obsession?

Post by jimmy256 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

I need some success stories just to know I'm on the right path... again.

In the beginning of college I came down with bouts of obsession. They would last a week or so once or twice a year. 10 years ago in law school they came on full throttle and until I graduated 2 years later I pretty much obsessed every day about my thoughts... or I couldn't stop thinking about what I was thinking about. I did the program, got married, got a job and things got better but the thought pattern reared it's head several times a year and it took immense effort to make it go away. I moved back to Atlanta where there is lots of family. I made a lot of health changes like almost eliminating alcohol and doing crazy things like chelation therapy to rid myself of heavy metals - I was pretty toxic. I felt great and almost obsession free for 3 years now and BOOM it just came back up and knocked me out. For the last week I'm obsessed about my thoughts every waking moment. I know it's different for everyone but I need a general road map that worked for you. I am such a fun awesome guy that loves people, but now I can't eat, sleep, enjoy moments with my baby boy and wife. I love life, but I'm afraid this will be forever. I have no obsessions ( well I am a nail biter ), and this is the only thing that has ever given me anxiety. I CANNOT do medications - they have all destroyed me. If you have dealt with something like this effectively then I would love to hear from you.

jimmy256

Re: Anyone Beaten this type of Obsession?

Post by jimmy256 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Correction... I meant "I have no COMPULSIONS."

Imadeitsocanu

Post by Imadeitsocanu » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I have beaten it. Not completely but I acknowledge that I have thoughts and irrational fears because of anxiety. Knowing that I try so hard to just move forward. My ocd thoughts were in like loving people, and the most important ones at that. It's a scary thing and you're not alone, just try and move forward and tell yourself that you're one day closer to beating it. All it takes its time, and I kept telling myself just that. I still do, but I'm happiest when I feel "not afraid", moments come and I tell myself "they're just lies" and replace them with positive sayings and thoughts. I hope if you read this, I have felt uncertain about ever feeling normal, but you begin to feel normal when you can tell yourself that a silly thought won't put a damper in your fun filled day. Normal is when you're content and happy and you're able to count your blessings and feel as if you have no worries within yourself. Life is full of the unknown, but the one thing you can control are your reaction to the thoughts and that should be enough. This will allow you to enjoy your family, friends and your life. When things get hard you're the only one that can make yourself better. Hope this helps, I've had moments of desperation and looked for answers that I wanted to make sure my anxiety was all at fault. Distract yourself and when you think bad thoughts let them come in and tell yourself your not scared. It will pass. And so shall whatever your facing. It will pass.

jimmy256

Post by jimmy256 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 am

This helps! Thank you!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”