can i get some helpful thoughts

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
bob p

can i get some helpful thoughts

Post by bob p » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 am

i know this sounds silly but i am having an issue with this thought right now and need some help. this is the thought. i was trying to replace the sentence i will NEVER be trapped by my thoughts and i said NEVER is extreme. so i replaced that sentence with there will ALWAYS be a way out and that got me anxious because ALWAYS is an extreme word too. so can someone help me to get myself out of this mental knot. should i say i can get extreme when i am trying to help myself out of an extreme situation or what? i will be trying to figure this one out today so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks bob

coachjanine

Re: can i get some helpful thoughts

Post by coachjanine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Bob. This is coach Janine. Maybe you could try "I will just accept my thoughts". Thoughts are just thoughts. Memories are just memories, sensations are sensations and feelings are feelings--nothing more, nothing less. You do not have to "become these" Thank you for your post.

Best,
Janine

bob p

Post by bob p » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 pm

i really appreciate that coach janine. thank you very much.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

I also find Ken's mantra of "Thoughts, only thoughts..." really helpful. Good luck Bob!

bob p

Post by bob p » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

thank you mirandaley i guess it will get easier i get so uncomfortable though probably because i am an insecure person and worry about what everyone else will think of me if they knew my mind is all over the place sometimes.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am

I felt like that too at first, but then reminded myself of all the people in the tapes! And google "celebrities with OCD or anxiety" and there's a tonne!! You are not alone!

bob p

Post by bob p » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

thanks again you are right i am not alone. whew.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Definitely not alone! And people with OCD and anxiety are fully capable of living long happy lives. We just need to figure out how to deal with our thoughts :). And with practice we can get better and better to the point where it's not always so hard!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”