Worried about the link between OCD and manic depression

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
MirandaLey

Worried about the link between OCD and manic depression

Post by MirandaLey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi everyone, okay so I was diagnosed with OCD a few weeks ago but I know it's been in my life a long time, and has also contributed to me having anxiety and depression. I'm about to start Lesson 8 and I'm doing really well so far. I feel like I've gotten my life back, and I'm very happy and satisfied. I know I still have things to work on but I know every day I'm getting better and I feel immensely proud of myself.

I was reading a blurb about the book Lucinda wrote about her husband who took his own life, and about how he had been suffering from manic depression. One of my friends has manic depression and was hospitalized for it awhile ago (before I met her, she's doing good now). I started to wonder if OCD could lead to manic depression. I know I shouldn't have done this but I googled it and found that about 10 to 35 per cent of people with OCD have manic depression. It also states that its more likely the people who have fewer compulsions but more of the sexual/religious obsessive thoughts, and for awhile those thoughts were really bothersome to me (not anymore).

I guess this has just scared me. I feel like I have enough on my plate, battling OCD & anxiety, and the resulting depression. I have never had any of the symptoms of manic depression, and my pscychiatrist that I saw who diagnosed me with OCD told me he's not worried that I show any other symptoms, but I'm worried that it could pop up later in my life. I know in the tapes Lucinda is very comforting and assures us that anxiety (including OCD which she dealt with as well) is not a life-long thing like manic depression or schizophrenia, but I'm scared I might get it. I just want to be healthy. I have a beautiful amazing daughter and all I want is to be there for her, to be healthy and always by her side. This past June I feel like I hit rock bottom -- my OCD started up again, and my scary thought was that I would kill myself if my depression got bad enough. I was so confused as to whether this made me suicidal or not -- but my psychaitrist said no, I wasn't, it's just that suicide was my obsessive OCD thought.

There are times when I am very happy, but that's how I normally am. Most friends and people I know see me as a very happy, bubbly, positive person. When I was younger I could get very hyper and exciteable, but it was always for a reason, i.e. being goofy with friends, school being done for the summer. I never felt out of control. I've been feeling really good lately and last night I was so happy -- I was cooking dinner for my baby girl and husband and I was making mashed potatoes. I started singing (I love to sing) and I made up a silly song about mashed potatoes. Normally this is who I am. I don't go on huge spending sprees or feel invicible, I'm just generally a cheerful, happy-go-lucky girl when I'm not weighed down by my anxiety and OCD and the resulting depression.

I guess I'm concerned if this is an indicator of having manic depression. What do you all think? I just need some words of advice and comfort I guess.

MirandaLey

Re: Worried about the link between OCD and manic depression

Post by MirandaLey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

Honestly I'm amazed at some of you people. I clearly wrote this in a very worried state of mind and I've had NINETEEN views of this and not one reply. I thought this community would be a lot more supportive and loving.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Miranda,

Did you see my reply to your post about the 4 o'clock blues?

This habit of over-thinking and questioning is what gets us over-whelmed. We feel we have to think our way out of this worry and obsessing. The way out though is less questioning and more under-reacting. It's hard to just let thoughts/feelings go because then we feel like something bad will happen. We believe the lie that we have to stay on top of every little feeling and thought. It all goes back to 'control.'

Here's the good news! We are getting a clearer picture of your negative thinking patterns and getting the tools and knowledge to slowly change this negative habit. You are a great thinker and have a healthy mind. Use this gift of learning and analyzing to create a positive day for you and your family.

I do believe this community is loving and supporting. Keep growing together! You are a great support to many on here! We love your input:)\

Here to help,
Coach Chris

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Chris, I think you're right, this was totally an over-thinking, "what-if" scenario. I just started Session 8 today and am learning to put an end to what-if thinking. It'll be a really good lesson for me to do, I think I may even spend extra time on it, as I did with Lessons 3 and 4.

I appreciate your insight.

coach21

Post by coach21 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi MirandaLey,

Congrats on the strides you've made through working the tools in this program. I can relate to your posts because I too had similair symptoms of anxiety (obsessive scary thinking) and asked myself the same questions your asking yourself. Realize right now you are sensitive to certain types of stimuli and reading about someone who committed suicide may set off a flury of bad questions. Based on your posts it appears all we are talking about is anxiety and most who initially struggle with anxiety struggle with depression as well. What happens in our case is we get scary, intrusive thoughts and we respond to them with alot of bad questions and irrational conclusions. We become frustrated with ourselves because we are uneducated about anxiety and lack coping skills. Consequestly we become depressed, depression being defined as "frustration/anger turned inward". Very normal, very human. We reach our for help and begin to be educated about anxiety and apply the knowledge we have learned. We develop and sustain emotional muscle and re-establish our confidence in the process. I recall when I was at your stage in recovery surfing the net sometimes was counterproductive. The internet is a great resource but sometimes you'll come across alot of misinformation that has no basis. Your sensitive to some of that stuff right now so be careful. Trust the road God has you on. We are only dealing with anxiety; not manic depression. We are talking about apples and oranges. God bless and e-mail anytime for support. Your recovery serves as inspiration to many!!

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 am

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I think it's absolutely right that I'm not totally ready at this point to just read anything. Someday I will be, but not now. Despite that, I am SO proud of myself for the progress I've made! Even reading about that a few months ago would have had me sick and miserable all day. This time it did cause worry but I didn't have one symptom of panic or depression because of it.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”