Medication for OCD?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
DG1988

Medication for OCD?

Post by DG1988 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 am

I am 24 years old and have had sprinklings of OCD behavior since I can remember, but I had a huge attack in '08 in which it took me a good two years to overcome. I was prescribed the medication Zoloft, which made me gain weight (40 pounds to be exact!), but I continued to take it because helped me a lot.

Fast forward to now, the OCD is back and greater than before. I have experienced a lot of OCD behaviors, but the the intrusive violent thought end of the spectrum have stuck, which in my opinion, are the hardest and worst of all the OCD symptoms.

I cannot sleep, and thus work, I am calling out constantly and unable to pay my bills. I have no medical insurance (got VERY lucky and was offered the Zoloft for free from the health department), no saved money. I am at the time feeling so hopeless that I feel suicidal. I wonder if I should go back on the medication? I hear about side effects of these pills that they can make a person go crazy or do violent things, (I am not that kind of person though!) so it makes me even more scared. I am also scared to trying other OCD medicines. What should I do?

coachchris

Re: Medication for OCD?

Post by coachchris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi DG,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. I sent you a private message. You should see the link in the upper left corner of the screen.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Coach Chris StressCenter.com

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Hang in there DG1988. Things will get better. Sometimes we have to take medication even if we are scared or it costs alot. You can only do what you can do but keep trying new things to help. I myself have been were your at and know what your feeling.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi! I am 25 and had similar violent scary OCD thoughts; never to the point where I felt suicidal but definitely hopeless, scared and depressed. The best thing I can suggest is talk to your doctor about your concerns about medication. My OCD only pops up when I'm under a lot of stress or a big change happens in my life; then I go on citalopram. It helps a lot. I went on it in 2009 and stayed on it until I got pregnant. I weaned off it and did fine, but about a year and a half later got really stressed again so my doctor put me back on it. I'm feeling great and also what makes a huge difference is this program. Have you started it? What session are you on? For people with OCD, a combo of meds and behavioral therapy works best. See if you can get help from a therapist. Remember this is temporary, you will feel normal again!!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”