Does the program work for OCD just as well as anxiety?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
MirandaLey

Re: Does the program work for OCD just as well as anxiety?

Post by MirandaLey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Snowden, it sounds like we have SO much in common! I have ALL those same thoughts as you! And I'm a stay-at-home mom, 25 years old. I would LOVE to be your "buddy" or "partner" for this program. Please e-mail me at sevenwaters.daughter@hotmail.com. We can talk with each other and help each other, since it really does sound like we have a lot in common.

I am sad to hear that the anti-depressants did not work for you. Did you try all of the SSRIs? You could ask your doctor if any of them would work. As for the medication you're on now, if it even helps a little it's worth it. As far as the stigma goes, I can totally relate. It was a hard thing for me to go on medication for the first time, but my mom, my husband, and even my therapist were all like, "If someone has diabetes and has to take insulin, does that make them weak? Does that make them abnormal?" The answer is no. Much like someone with any disorder, it is not our fault that we have this problem. So that in itself should alleviate some of the guilt that comes with it. Life is 10 per cent of what happens to you and 90 per cent of what you make of it. The way I look at my anxiety problems is this: I didn't ask to be this way, but God made me sensitive for a reason. And since I was very young, I've developed behaviour patterns that have been unhealthy and have led me to have even more anxiety. I can't change my genetic makeup, but I can change my thought process. That is what this program does so well -- teaches you to go from a negative thinker to a positive one, from someone who is fearful and always expecting the worst to someone who isn't afraid and who is able to take chances and deal with life's stresses in a healthy way.

As far as those unwelcome thoughts go, know that they have no ground in reality. What helps me is I tell myself, "Thoughts, only thoughts, thoughts, only thoughts". You will recognize this mantra from one of the men featured on the CDs. They're only thoughts. And then I turn it around. If I had a thought that I would hurt my daughter, I would say, "This thought is just part of having OCD. It has no grounding in reality. I love my daughter more than life itself and could never hurt her. I'm not afraid of this thought. It has no power over me." You might not believe it right away but keep saying this, and it will help. It's so important to stay positive. When the thoughts were really overpowering me a few months ago before I started the program I would repeat to myself, "I am a wonderful mother, I am a wonderful wife, I am a wonderful person."

I am very visual too, and when I obsessed that I would kill myself, it would be visual, -- like I would look down at my wrist and picture blood coming out of it. Scary! So I would replace that with a different visual image -- a pretty bracelet or ribbon wrapped around my wrist. Eventually these thoughts did fade and I rarely get them. Now, it's more like, if I have a blue day or a day with more anxiety, I think, "Oh, what if this gets worse and I kill myself." It's my biggest fear because I fear any separation from my daughter and husband -- they are my world and I love my family so much! I always want to be here with them. My therapist assured me that this was not suicidal thinking, this was just part of OCD, which helped me because I was really scared.

Even today I had some unwanted thoughts, because I was at a moms group and I was talking to another mom about our similar experiences with unwated, obsessive thoughts -- she had postpartum depression that kick started hers, and we were discussing our similar thoughts. Another woman mentioned her mother had OCD and is a hoarder, and doesn't handle her anxiety and depression well at all. Later in the day when I had less going on I thought, "I hope that doesn't happen to me, but what if it does? Would I kill myself? Would life even be worth living?" But I immdiately replace it in my thought journal with this: "Even if my anxiety and OCD never really goes away, I will find a way to live with it. Life has so much to offer! I will feel better and back to normal soon."

As far as the exercise goes, I really reccomend you start. And since you find it boring to be in the house, why not see if there are any fitness programs you can join? I myself am going to a zumba class for the first time tonight, fingers crossed I don't trip over my own feet! :lol: I really do believe exercise makes a difference -- even a ten minute walk at first. Exercise releases endorphines and serotonin which help us to feel better naturally. And it will bolster your self-esteem.

The best thing I can suggest is to get busy. The program will keep you busy but you also need something else -- something that will take your mind off of the problem. Ask yourself wht your interests are, and go from there.

Please e-mail me! We can work through this together. I send you much love and good feelings.

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Miranda, I sent you an email! Looking forward to talking some more. Snowden26

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Snowden26 wrote:Miranda, I sent you an email! Looking forward to talking some more. Snowden26
Hi Snowden, did you send me a message on here or to my hotmail? I got a message on here but all it was was a previous post so I'm confused ha ha.

I will send you a message on here.

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am

Miranda, I sent a message to your hotmail:) Hope to chat soon! Snowden26

coach21

Post by coach21 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 am

Hi Snowden26,

I could help but respond to your post in that intrusive thoughts of which you described were one of my more challenging symptoms of anxiety. Through my journey with this symptom of anxiety I've learned alot and have eliminated the feelings of anxiety and depression associated with these thoughts. As per "Obsessive thoughts about harming them..."what if's"...
Their is ample research to support that all humans have intrusive, spontaneous thoughts. The thoughts aren't the problem; it's how we respond to the thoughts. Those prone to anxiety were born a tab bit more analytical and sensitive than most. These are two great traits but when used in a counterproductive manner creates anxiety. An intrusive thought pops in your head and being sensitive to this type of stimuli you chase these thoughts down in a counterproductive analytical manner establishing and reinforcing alot of irrational conclusions about yourself.

As per "Your a good mom and you would never act on these thoughts..." Reality is the mere fact that you recognized these thoughts as irrational is pure evidence to support you are of sound mind and incapable of carrying these thoughts out. This is a fact that has been proven as per your post. We need to stick to the facts.

When we initially respond to these thoughts irrationally we think in terms of eliminating these thoughts i.e."Fight these thoughts pretty hard..."..."able to get rid of them all together...". What happens when we try not to think of the sunset? We think of the sunset. It's the paradox of mental control. Attempting to suppress these thoughts just leads to variations of the thoughts themselves. Again, the thoughts aren't the problem. The irrational conclusions we establish and "what if's?" we follow these thoughts up with are the problem.

As per "Way to much free time..." When we give these thoughts air time we give these thoughts power and creativity. Thats why I found it best to constuct a continuing care program that consists of a balanced daily schedule.

As per "feel like my life has been taken away due to intrusive thoughts..." Snowden26, I can completely identify with how you feel but know that you are fully capable of eliminating these feelings of anxiety and depression associatd with these thoughts and re-establishing your confidence. Right now you are personalizing these thoughts. You irrationally concluded that these thoughts represent you in some way. I know because I had the exact same thoughts and established the same irrational conclusions. Reality is thee thoughts are not a reflection of you, just a quirk of the human condition. Reality is you are of sane mind and are a wonderful mother. I am employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and have alot of experience helping others help themselves eliminate the feelings of anxiety and depression associated with these thoughts. I have alot of resources and information to share so feel free to e-mail me directly any time for support at mikesc21@hotmail.com.. Know that God already has the resources in place for your recovery. It's up to us to put action behind our faith. God bless and e-mail any time.

MirandaLey

Post by MirandaLey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

I completely concur! Everyone has those weird thoughts from time to time, but people with anxiety or OCD are so sensitive tho these thoughts and have a much harder time getting rid of them. I am learning to be less analytical and to just "let it go". Snowden I haven't heard from you in e-mail in awhile, I hope everything is going good with you!!

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:43 pm

HI mirandaley,
I think maybe I was waiting for you to write and you were waiting for me to write. Haha, funny. I will shoot you an email tonight.
Coach 21, Thank you for your thoughts and wisdom. I do feel like my thoughts define me or I think "how could I even be thinking this way, I am a monster!" But I know that they are just thoughts. How did you personally overcome them? Thanks.

coach21

Post by coach21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Snowden26,

In response to your question "How did you personally overcome them?" I guess a better question would be "how did I eliminate the feelings of anxiety, depression and frustration associated with these thoughts?" The problem isn't the thoughts...everyone human gets spontaneous, instrusive thoughts. It's what we irrationally conclude about ourselves and the irrational fears we establish and reinforce that's the problem. My road to re-establishing my confidence started with this program, a very good coach/therapist and supplemental literature. I'd be more than happy to share my what I've learned thus far.I feel it's imperative to talk with "responsible ears". Someone who can provide guidance, support and understanding. Feel free to e-mail me any time through this website or at my listed e-mail address. I'm employed as a coach through StressCenter and have helped many help themselves eliminate the feelings of anxiety and depression associated with these thoughts. God bless and hope to hear from you soon!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”