Overwhelming fear of stds

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
AnxietyMe

Overwhelming fear of stds

Post by AnxietyMe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 am

I have a horrible, unreasonable fear of Stds. I do not live a risky lifestyle at all (always safe/protected/tested and in a monogamous relationship) yet I have become consumed with this horrible fear that I am going to get one. I imagine these elaborate scenarios where something as simple as sharing a cup or kissing could cause life threatening Stds. This phobia and OCD thinking has affected every area of my life for the last 8 months. It has made dating impossible and no matter how many times I get tested and how long I have NO contact with people I am still waking up at 4am in a total panic. I have even lost friends over this because they cannot stand my compulsive talking about this. I have created symptoms in my head that scare me into thinking I have an Std. Worst of all I finally sought help through therapy and the therapist told me I need to be on medication AND that I am not a candidate for therapy. This really upset me. I was really hoping that by using Lucindas program and the therapy I could beat this without medication. I feel like I am being given no choice but medication and I don't like that. I had anxiety in 2005-6 over driving far distances and I conquered and overcame that fear. I was so proud of myself and was anxiety free for 5 years. I really wish there was some way for me to get over this fear but unlike my former fear this isn't one I can face. I feel like I will end up alone because I cannot really date with all these irrational fears. Whenever it gets to the point where there is anything physical involved I head for the hills. I have great days and I have horrible days just like everyone else. The program has helped a little (I am on Lesson 5) but I feel like I will never get better from this. I am started to feel really frustrated and alone.

coachchris

Re: Overwhelming fear of stds

Post by coachchris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 am

Hi AnxietyMe,

Thank you for your post. Getting over obsessive lies can be very hard but it can be done. Because you know the thought is irrational is a great sign that you will beat this. It is a bad habit. I know for certain that this program is perfect for you. I too was an obsessive thinker stuck in a lie for most of my 20's and have been obsessive free now for 16 years.

The key is seeing it has a bad habit and the thought is a lie. I also recommend exercise, lots of water and practicing the 6 steps in lesson 2. A good multi-vitamin, omegas and your relaxation is a must. You have to let the thought float by and under-react to it. Expect it to be there. Eventually it will begin to fade when you don't give it so much focus. Lessons' 8, 9 and 10 are all about worry and give us tools to get out of it.

I have coached hundreds and hundreds of people who have had great success in exiting their obsessive thoughts. You WILL heal from this. Please PM me and we can have a free coaching call and piece this all together. We are here to help and I KNOW there is peace at the end of this.

Coach Chris StressCenter.com

P.S. I have several posts on obsessive thinking. Search through them they will help :)

AnxietyMe

Post by AnxietyMe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Thank you for responding. I have been working very hard for the last few weeks on attempting to let go of this fixation I have on STD's. I have managed to comfort myself by telling myself that it is IMPOSSIBLE because of the kind of guarded life I lead. I am on Lesson 7 and am looking forward to finding more tips that will help me remain anxiety and ocd free for good. Thank you for your support.
----AnxietyMe-----

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 am

Super..keep it up. You are breaking a bad habit and learning a whole new language. This takes time and perseverance and you will do it.

Here to help,
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

shannluv28

Post by shannluv28 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Congratulations on getting so far with the program! OCD is a horrible disorder to deal with ( I know first hand) but the fact that you are taking steps to get better makes you stronger than the disorder. You can get better!! :D

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”