Moving So Fast

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
samIam7

Moving So Fast

Post by samIam7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Even if I were to be in a big open, peacful field with noone or nothing around me I would still feel like I am directing traffic in the heart of New York City. My thoughts race every moment of everyday. I think about mostly unnesesarry and terrifying things. Words, numbers, repetition. I can be still yet feel like my mind and body are racing through time. Like I am always so far ahead of myself. It gets physically painful living with OCD. Doing things over and over physically and mentally. It's hard to focus. I feel like I miss so much! Like before I realize the true beauty and/or emotion a moment holds it is hours from over. I'm always so busy focusing on counting or moving certain muscles or even trying to clear the scary visions from my head. Im 21 now and have been living this way since I was 8. I've found that certain things help. Any advice on good ways to slow down?

NeverQuit

Re: Moving So Fast

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:58 am

That really stinks, I know what that feels like. :( When I was at my worst with anxiety, I couldn't even sleep peacefully, I had myself so on edge about EVERYTHING.

I think the key is to focus on what you really enjoy. Are there activities that take your mind off of things? Maybe you need to find some hobbies! Can you volunteer somewhere?

I know for me, if I was in a huge group of people that I knew and loved, it would definitely help to take my mind off of things. I got a "break," even if that meant I just wasn't entertaining the thoughts as much.

The more you practice the skills in the program, the easier it will be to relax and enjoy the "precious present moment." You won't be as obsessive, and you will find yourself able to focus on tasks and actually forget whatever it was that was bothering you!

The thing with OCD thinking is that our minds are ADDICTED to it. This post is a good reminder for me, because I still struggle with this. It's a bad habbit that you need to break through repetition. Just like you had to get on a bike and practice riding over and over again, you have to practice stopping obsessive, negative thoughts over and over again.

The key for people like us is to have activities that take our minds off of things. We are very analytical people. You need something that uses that skill in a POSITIVE way. Do you like crossword puzzles? Maybe you need to find a job that is highly technical! Or try writing a book! Are you musical? The piano really helps me when I just need a break, it takes all my concentration and helps me to get some of that crazy creative energy out. :) Things like that are really good for people like us.

praying for you! Hope some of that helps!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”