Thoughtfulness vs. Obsessive Thinking

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
KiekegaardSatreCamus

Thoughtfulness vs. Obsessive Thinking

Post by KiekegaardSatreCamus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello everyone, just to explain myself, I'm in college and absolutely love learning and reading. However, I've noticed when I become intrigued with a certain philosophical idea, not only do I contemplate about it often, I've become utterly obsessed with it. I'll think about the subject nearly throughout the whole day, read information of various websites about it, and watch youtube videos on the subject repeatedly, to the point of even memorizing them word for word. So, basically, I was just curious if anyone else has this type of problem, and if so, how have you dealt with it? Any insight would be very much appreciated by me. Thanks.

rjhamilton

Re: Thoughtfulness vs. Obsessive Thinking

Post by rjhamilton » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Hello Kiekegaard, I wouldn't be surprised if many of us do this type of thing but in our own unique way. My experience was a little different typically revolving around a sociological perspective. I would critique people along with myself on a very critical scale of a person's integrity. As you can imagine I developed social anxiety along with panic attacks and I couldn't figure out why I was so awkward around people ?? Haha, I now recognize that all people are different and I'm not some of mind reader who can pinpoint motives and play God's role. Your obsession to contemplate these philosophical ideas is literally just a habit you have developed and can be changed only if you wish for it to change. The hard thing is that you get something from this habit and you'll have to decide for yourself what you want to do. I suggest for you to not drop your love for philosophy but to lessen the minute to minute thinking about it for now if you believe it is hindering you in your life somehow. Focus more on your current life and balancing it. Don't hold yourself to these philosophical standards if you are and realize that Socrates is not living in this time nor with an anxiety disorder lol.
In my experience I have learned that everything you need will come in time if you focus on it. This means good direction and good motivation.
The best of luck to you and I hope that I have helped! :)

KiekegaardSatreCamus

Post by KiekegaardSatreCamus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Thank you for your insightful, rj. Reading it was very helpful. :)
I might understand what you mean by critiquing others by ethical standards. I once did that same and developed social anxiety also. As for my obsessively thinking now, I figured it to be a coping methods I've learned to adopted over the years. During my childhood and adolescent years, in a volatile household environment, thinking seemed like my only escape. However, by continuing this unhealthy coping method, I developed obsessive thinking. I've been working on my obsessive thoughts lately. For instance, last night, usually before going to sleep, I often think myself tired. Pretty much, I think so much to the point of becoming mentally exhausted and my body simply gives way for sleep. But, yesterday, I fought against that tendency, and if though it was very difficult to get sleep, eventually I did and feel more calm minded today. Again, thank for your input, I truly do appreciate it.

rjhamilton

Post by rjhamilton » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey no problem, it's great sharing your own experience with others. Truly lifts a weight :)
Also when you said "thinking seemed like my only escape" I immediately thought about what someone had told me a couple weeks ago. He explained it something like this: we each have two states of Mind one being The Reasonable Mind and the other The Emotional Mind. People like us overuse one state (reasonable also the thinking side) to compensate for our sore state (emotional or feeling side) or vice versa. The goal is to use both states of mind together in a balanced state called The Wise Mind. I enjoyed it and thought you might gain something from it. It's all about mindfulness and just having a deeper understanding of your thoughts and your feelings.
Just take small steps that you know are good and follow the program. :)

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Thank you rj. This is something for me to remember.... I will try find my 'WISE MIND.' A balance...A balance is what I am searching for...I am suffering with my indecisiveness. It comes and goes. And it's really exhausting. I write stuff down and talk ( a lot!), but I still am trying to find that peaceful balance. I am following the program tightly and I am feeling very positive and proud! :) It will come. "Knowledge is power."

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”