Insomnia Racing Thoughts

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
BLR

Insomnia Racing Thoughts

Post by BLR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Close to 20 years ago I had agoraphobia from being young in a bad marriage and having a baby when young. I overcame it with support from attacking anxiety program and the help of friends. I began to go back to college and eventually got a job and became confident and secure.
Recently I went through a female heavy prolonged bleeding episode that I over reacted to and became very firghtened. I began to lose my appetite followed by boughts of insomnia either difficuly falling asleep or staying asleep. Then the anxiety attacks began again. I started to feel out of control and have let it spiral so much I feel I am going insane.
I am taking xanax to ease when symptoms are really bad but having so much trouble focusing on the positive thoughts. I obsess so much worrying about sleep and the effects on my mind/body. I am also scared of medication but have forced myself to take the xanax. The doc also started me on an anti depressant that helps with OCD, anxiety and depression, along with trying different sleep aides.
I guess I am having a harder time dealing with it now then years ago as I didn't have the sleep obessive thoughts and worry about my body (hypocondria). I also have been under stress from work and have gotten myself in such a tizzy I have taken a family leave, working intermitently.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am trying to use the relaxation tape at night which helps some. Everyone including my therapist tells me this is temporary and to practice thinking of what I want versus what I don't want, such as I enjoy a good nights sleep in my warm bed and I am calm and relaxed and I have the power to change my thoughts.
This is so hard but I have to believe I can overcome in and it is a growth spurt to get me to change things in my life that need attention and re-learn to enjoy life.
Please only positive replys as my mind cannot handle anything negative about this or I panic more. I would love to hear success stories and how others worked through similar issues. Thank you

chrisostring

Re: Insomnia Racing Thoughts

Post by chrisostring » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:05 pm

It will work your body will rest eventually no matter what. Try and get intone with yourself do things that sooth you ex if you like your feet to be nice and warm put warm socks on or if you like no sock let your toes touch its all about just letting the thoughts run and let them slowly get outta the way. Put alot of focus on her voice. Its very peaceful. I had the same prob at first the thoughts would just come and come but the werent even all bad thoughts just random ones. But the best thing of all is THEY NOR THIS can hurt you at all. Your normal lol we all are. I feel if you just do all the things that make you as comfortable as possible and lay there and hear her voice and just let the thoughts run and say you know what run all you want im not gonna pay you any attention it will began to work better and sooth you better. The meds yes i was the same way still am somewhat because i wanna be meds free but that comes with time and effort, and being positive and compassionate with yourself. On a side note thank god for spell check lol that compassionate is one big word lol. neways.....i was put on coladipans spell check cant fix that one lol. but i have only takin one and thats just when its bad because all it did was put me to sleep. And i have paxil but i only take a 4th every other day but thats how i want to do it so thats how i will untill i dont need to take them anyone. But just take them as your suppose to and everything will be ok. And good about the time off you truly need that really you can focus on yourself. Take some good short walks and just thank god for everything around you. The clouds the flowers the trees the grass everything has a reason to be here just as you do im very sure there are many people that love you very very much and would do anything to help you. Trust me you are not going to go crazy i promise you that i thought that myself too but its not nor ever gonna happen :D i promise. Well wright back soon im here to talk whenever

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey there!

I can totally relate about insomnia and the racing thoughts. But you WILL get through this! You are smart to keep seeking help about it! You are just having a temporary set-back, you will get through it.

Insomnia is a common side-affect of anxiety, it's nothing to scare yourself about! :) I know it's still hard though. I had anxiety for almost a year when I was a teenager, I was going through hormonal changes and I think my adrenaline was really off. I definitely have had the insomnia with the racing thoughts as well - it's awful. But I learned a lot going through that and I will try to give you some tips!

1. I take Valerian Root, a natural herb, every night to help my body relax. It definitely helps me. I would recommend trying it. The only side affect that I found when I looked Valerian up is that it is a duretic - you may find yourself waking up once to use the bathroom. But that's all that I have experienced.

2. Get outside in the sun and exercise. Even if it's cold, bundle up and go out. Getting natural sunlight will help not only to life your mood and increase your vitamin D, I believe it also helps with seasonal depression (if you are in a colder climate). I think that ties into the vitamin D that your body receives from the sun. If you exercise, do not do it within four hours of going to bed. This will only wake your body up. Try and exercise either in the morning or afternoon. This WILL help to make you tired.

3. Do not eat sugar after 6 o'clock. I find I am especially sensitive to chocolate.

4. Cherries are supposedly high in melatonin (a naturally occuring sleep hormone). Snack on these if you need a night-time snack, but not too many as even natural sugar can bother your sleep.

5. I have heard that lavendar helps your body to relax. If you have any lavendar body lotions or sprays, maybe try putting some on at night.

6. Do the relaxation tape with the program. I do this every night - it helps my body to relax. You could even let it play while you are trying to fall asleep - it might sooth you and help you to relax.

7. Do not be on electronics for an extended time at night - of course, a few minutes isn't a big deal, but I am very sensitive to the lights on my computer or even the TV if I am staring at them for an extended period of time before going to sleep.

8. Keep the lights low at night, as soon as it gets dark outside. Your melatonin is naturally increasing during this time, and bright lights will only set off the natural sleep process.

I looked a lot of this information up when I was going through my sleep problems, I hope these tips are able to help you!!
Make sure to keep doing the program, faithfully listening to the tapes and doing the homework WILL pay off. You may not see a change right away, but it WILL make a difference.

I will be praying for you!!

chrisostring

Post by chrisostring » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

those are really great ideas!!!!

angelafal

Post by angelafal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm in the same boat. My insomnia started a few weeks ago while I was going through fertility treatment. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 3 years and in December we got pregnant but I miscarried shortly after. I also got laid off around the same time. I've had some really bad lows and I think my body is going through post traumatic stress or just really bad anxiety. I feel anxious all the time and especially at bed time, which means no sleeping for me. I've been taking Ambien and that gives me about 5 hours but I hate to take any drugs so that's stressing me out too! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow so maybe he can give me something to curb the anxiety and help me to fall asleep on my own. I'm also on Wellbutrin which I've been on for a few weeks but I haven't noticed a change in mood. I just have a lot of negative thinking and anxiety all day from the minute I wake up. I'm doing the program (week 2), praying, and trying to relax as much as possible but it only seems to be helping temporarily. I know I will get through this but I'm just really scared and nervous as to when that will happen. I have no patience! ; ) It is comforting to see I'm not alone though. We can get through this!

Peace, love and rest!
Angela

BLR

Post by BLR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm

How is it going? I am now on Luvox .75, xanax . 50 3 times day and
1 mg clonazapam at bed. Helps to read to fall asleep
Problem is my husband wakes at 330 am so we have
Been sleeping in separate rooms. I have appointment
Tues for intensive day therapy. Praying my doc
Approves it cause my boss wants me to take
A leave since I'm so behind on work from OCD, anxiety, lack sleep
Etc. pray pray and lots of trying to think positive. Drained.

bryanwithay22

Post by bryanwithay22 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 am

I hear ya guys I have been having that problem lately I get so tired but I get afraid of having scary or weird dreams so I don't let myself fall asleep during the day I'm fine it's at night and in the am that's harder for me. Been self medicating with alcohol but the problem is when it wears off the anxiety is usually worse. Any thoughts?

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”