Is this a "compulsion"`

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Stacers

Post by Stacers » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:00 pm

I finally looked for a Therepist here that specializes in OCD (I e-mailed her and the first response she gave me was to pick up a copy of the imp in the mind)

Anyways I e-mailed her back about making an appointment and I am supossed to make a list of some of my obsessions and any compulsions, such as mental rituals etc...

Now (PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M NUTS) when I start having these thoughts I will play solitaire on the computer.
And I'll add these little things on to it such as
If I win this game I'm not crazy
OR
If I win this game I'll never hurt anyone (That's one of my biggest fears)
And being as I kick ass at solitaire I win 99% of the time so I keep playing over and over again because it gives me a since of relief.
So I ask... Does this count as a cmmpulsion?

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:34 pm

It sounds like it could be some kind of obsession, why not put some parenthesis or an asterisk near it with a note at the bottom of your list.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:56 am

Yes it does.

Get that book. I hear quite a few people talking about it. It's supposed to be good for that.

Kami1095

Post by Kami1095 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm

looking at the definitions ive seen. you have the obsessive thoughts and the compulsions are what you do to cope with the thoughts.

obsession- afraid of getting germs.

compulsion- washes hands too much.

i think its ok though. you are here looking for help. thats a good start :) and im sure deep down inside you also understand that if you lose solitare it doesnt mean you'd really hurt someone. you may doubt if it means you would or wouldnt. but i think most of us deep down inside have that small voice of reason. we just dont always let ourselves believe it.
"If you see the wonder of a fairytale, you can face the future even if you fail."

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”