Fear of needing medication/counseling

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
guitarrr

Fear of needing medication/counseling

Post by guitarrr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi guys, so basically I think maybe I have ocd, although I can't think of rituals or compulsions I do really. I've been off all medication since like last january/december, so almost a year. At first I was doing good, and really I stopped because I was sick of the side effects. And also bcause my g/f didn't like the medication, but that actually wasn't a big part of why I stopped. Anyway, I'm wondering if I have ocd now. Weird thoughts/sensations that had occured before, I felt again and now I'm obsessing on them and fearing them. Some are kinda common like dry mouth, but I obsess over it and it's like I'm afraid these feelings won't go away. Also, I sometimes obsess on how things feel to me like they feel too rough or something, and then I get afraid to touch things or something. I have been getting through these things pretty well by doing the breathing exercises from the relaxation tape, but during the week it's harder and especially when I'm working it's like I can't do it or something and I start getting afraid I won't ever be able to overcome this and I can only do so by geting medication. My g/f is very anti medication, and I'm not sure she'd stay with me if I had to go back on it and do counseling, mostly because she doesn't like how you reveal personal stuff in counseling. The medication thing I think is because she doesn't want me to have to drug myself to deal with stress, although I'm wondering if it's just me being afraid of myself, and I'm scared there isn't a real big thing I'm worried about, that I just do it to scare myself. Sometimes I can have good days where I feel pretty good, but sometimes its really bad. I'm not sure what to do. I'm looking at moving in with my g/f in the next couple weeks. So there is some big stress going on in my life, but these things distract me and cause me to question can I even be with her.

NeverQuit

Re: Fear of needing medication/counseling

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am

Hi!

First of all, there is no shame if you DO decide that you need medication. Although I don't believe that medication is the absolute answer to anxiety, and the program doesn't teach that either, I know that it has been a HUGE blessing to MANY people in overcoming their anxiety. If you don't already know, I would ask your girlfriend more specifically what it is that she doesn't like about medication. Read up on some success stories about people who have used it, even search these forums and find testimonies of people who have used it and it has been a blessing to them in their progress. If you have good alternatives to being on a drug, then explore those. Maybe your girlfriend knows something about those. I work with a nutritionist and it is EXTREMELY helpful. We have to remember that anxiety is not just our thoughts, it's also what we are feeding ourselves. There are some great natural alternatives to drugs.

Don't underestimate working with a counselor either. I think as people with anxiety, we need to be open to all alternatives. I worked with a counselor for a time and it was a blessing to me!

I know that sometimes we don't want to face the anxiety. We'd rather ignore it and hope that it goes away. It takes faith to step out and try things. Don't be scared! You WILL get through this. Keep doing the program! You're right just to be exploring these other options of counseling and medication, it shows that you are on the right track of wanting to take care of yourself!! Sometimes anxiety can be scary to those who care about us. They often want to ignore it too and not address it. But it's important that you continue to be open in communicating and continue to look for options and especially, do the hard work that the program contains.

I don't know where you're at in the program, but I would encourage you to try and use some of the assertive communication skills that we are taught in the program. If you decide that mediciation/counseling IS something that would benefit you and you want to try it, try communicating to your girlfriend that this is something that you believe is best for you, and you want her to support you in this journey. Also, if moving in is NOT something that makes you comfortable, don't be afraid to say that too. I think one of the most important skills for us as people with anxiety is to learn to communicate where we are at and accept ourselves right where we are.

Love yourself! You're doing great! Keep up the hard work.

Drksydeone

Post by Drksydeone » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:13 am

absolutely dont feel bad about medication or counseling..Ive been in and out of anxiety and depression for some time. Ive been off and on meds. Three years without but just recently started zoloft and working with the program. I am already beating myself up for having to go back to zoloft. Instead of saying to myself good job for taking the necessary steps towards recovery, Im seeing it as a failure ,again part of this condition.

guitarrr

Post by guitarrr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks guys. I moved in with my giflfriend this past weekend. We got a nice place in an apartment complex, we signed a year lease but we also are living with her sister. It's been stressful on and off when I think and worry about what if we don't work out and just decide to not be together anymore. I realized I'm pretty needy sometimes, and almost smothering. Basically I get like that when I upset her, I constantly am asking 'are you mad?" and I say sorry over and over. I jst want things to be better like immediately. It's not realistic but its something I have to work on. Her sister doesn't have a job yet but she's gonna look soon, and around the area there seems to be plenty of places to work. I'm basically thinking well if we don't work out, maybe I could just move out even before the lease ran out if need be, and her and her sister could afford it. But I'd like that not to happen. I just get obsessive and anxious more when theres big things I'm worried about, and I have to keep that in mind. I talked to her about that too. She's worried sometimes that I won't get better, but I'm already happier generally than I was a little while ago, when I lived near her. I moved with my parents for a few months to save money mostly, and now I feel more secure that way at least for now. So I guess I'm more confident about us but on and off we do have our stressful moments. I guess every couple does though. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes instead of obsess about what might happen. It's definitely a big learning experience. I might try natural supplements more to help my anxiety and obsessions too.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”