Fear of Test Results--Severe negative thinking

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
erinhughes

Fear of Test Results--Severe negative thinking

Post by erinhughes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi, All!
I have not been on here for a while and thought I could come here and see if someone had some advise for me.
I suffer from Panic attacks and obsessive thinking. I am a 33 year old woman with 2 small girls. I have been married for 5 years. I always worry about everything and want to make sure everyone is taken care of. Well, my fears all came back to me last week and when my dad had all these tests done for his breathing problems. He assured me everything was "OK" Not to worry! Well, come to find out....He had a PET Scan and they saw a small spot on his lung. My mom said it looks like cancer and he would have a biopsy done. Well, I am a MESS and can not stop thinking the worse. I have this overwhelming fear that something is wrong and he is going to die. I tell myself this is anxiety but what IF the fear comes true? I just want to know how to relax and not over think things until the results come back. He doesn't see the Dr. until this Weds. If something was really wrong, they would call sooner for an Apt right? I just don't know anymore. I don't want to get out of bed...I just want to shut down and make this all go away. Does anyone have any advise on how to control my thoughts and emotions? I cry all the time and yell at my kids, when they do nothing wrong. I think I am trying to hold it all together and when something small happens, I explode. I am not a violent person by any means, but I just don't know how to control my emotions. I fear the worse and can't stop thinking about it. Any advise?! Thank you for your time and God Bless :-)

NeverQuit

Re: Fear of Test Results--Severe negative thinking

Post by NeverQuit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Erin,
That must be really scary. :( I don't know how you're doing now, it's been around a week, but I hope you are doing better.

Real things can be really hard to work through. But I would encourage you to try and answer back that scary thought. It doesn't have to prove it wrong, but just a statement that builds you up and makes you feel like you can handle it, no matter how hard it would be, you would get through it. Remind yourself about the family and friends that you have around you who support you. Remind yourself that God will not allow anything to happen to you that He can't handle and help you through. Be compassionate with yourself! This is something that is really scary for you because you love your dad!! Of course you're feeling anxious! Tell yourself that you are stronger than you realize and God is with you. Focus on what you can do next, whether it's just a task that you have been wanting to complete or helping your mom with something, or whatever. It definitely helps when we feel like we are doing something.

I'll be praying for you! I hope this advice is helpful.

erinhughes

Re: Fear of Test Results--Severe negative thinking

Post by erinhughes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your time. My dad has to have a needle biopsy next Thursday. The Dr. went down his throat and could not get anything on the biopsy. So, we still do not know if it's cancer or a "growth". I find myself doing better with the negative thoughts and I keep reminding myself that I have to be there for my parents no matter what the outcome is. I trust in God and know this is in his hands. We have been so blessed thru out our lives and I trust that he will help us thru this. I have complete faith. My dad is a strong man and whateve happens, we will get thru this. He is an amazing man and I get my strength thru him!
Thank you again, for taking the time to reply to my post. It surely helped! I appreciate your prayers as well...I know they work!
I will post again next week and let you know. God Bless!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”