Fear of going Schizo???? Please help, please!!

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Momof2cuteboys

Fear of going Schizo???? Please help, please!!

Post by Momof2cuteboys » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:42 am

Okay, so I suffer from Anxiety/Panic Disorder and was diagnosed 6.5 years ago. I actually been doing amazing, havent even thought about my anxiety since October/November of 2010. All of a sudden I have severe fear I might end up becoming schizo or so on. Out of no where just started getting anxiety and fear about this. I read on it a little and I don't think I have any of the symptoms, but I don't know I guess. Lately I know when I talk I get some of my words scrambled like I talk to fast or mix my words up...I realize it right away but it makes me feel like an idiot!

We both grew up here in town our whole lives and my husband got a job transfer...I have been excited this whole time up until the last few days, I just am super stressed and been crying at random because we can't find a house and all the houses we have been shown are not acceptable for our family or at all what we are looking for. I am at wits end. I am getting super frustrated with our kids (3 and 4 years old) and feel so bad about it afterwards. I have always had more than one dog (2-3 usually), we had to put one down a month ago and had to get rid of the other because when we move we can only have one dog at all these rentals. We own a beautiful home here and it's been heartbreaking to go from this to what we have been looking at. My grandpa has been in the hospital for more than a week (doing better but not great yet) and I am close with my grandparents, I am really sad to leave my dad (we've always stayed here because I've been so afraid to leave him before since my parents divorce) but now that I feel good I am excited for the change, but now I am asking myself why I don't feel bad? Why am I not having anxiety? What is wrong with me?

I don't don't don't want the anxiety to come back, I don't want to be going schizo, I don't want to be so angry with my kids (yelling at them and such), I don't want to question "why aren't you anxious" or "what about dad" or on and on. I want this to be something positive.

BTW I just turned 30 years old and am a female.

Would really like some kind of advice please!!

NeverQuit

Re: Fear of going Schizo???? Please help, please!!

Post by NeverQuit » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm

One thing with OCD/anxiety is we want to be absolutely certain about things. So that's a good thing to identify if you find yourself obsessing about being schizo, remind yourself that this is just further proof that you simply have anxiety!

You are NOT going crazy, you are a very creative, analytical person, and you need an outlet! What are you doing for yourself, what do you enjoy?

Also, maybe you are a little anxious about the move, and are just distracting yourself with these obsessive thoughts! That's what we learn on the obsessive thinking CD with the program - we use our obsessive thoughts to distract ourselves!

Also, when you are anxious, you are much more irritable naturally. And don't underestimate hormones!!

Continue to work with the program, you might have some underlying anxious thoughts that are weighing you down. Do some journaling, do your relaxation tape. Keep exercising, and drink lots of water. You ARE in control. :)

bigthom777

Post by bigthom777 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:32 pm

I kind of thought that "what if" I start hearing voices when I started taking medication years ago. Supposedly it was a possible side effect. I obsessed about it for months. But I was distracting myself from dealing with the anxiety in my life.

I would work the program and use the relaxation tape. You have a lot of stuff happening in your life.

Wish you the best.

nknecht6

Post by nknecht6 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm kinda going threw the same thing. I have 4 kids (7-5-4-2). I always feel like i am yelling at them. I also feel like the worst mother in the world for doing it. We are also making a huge move (14hrs away) and We are having such a hard time finding a place to live and a good job. We are trying to be closer to Family. So I'm really freaking out. I'm crying all the time and having anxiety attacks often. I also could use help......

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi there!

It sounds like you are just going through a very anxious time. You need to give yourself a break and give yourself some time to relax. What is your daily schedule like right now? Are you doing the program?

It's a normal thing to get stressed, even to take it out on other people is normal, it's just not constructive, as you already know. Check your inner dialogue - write out your negative thoughts with a positive replacement thought, like we learn in lesson 3.

Make sure to do the relaxation tape, it's a huge blessing. It teaches your body to be relaxed rather than constantly tense. Really beneficial, even it is hard at first.

Are you exercising? Sometimes it helps us to start thinking positive if we start doing the physical stuff first - exercise, nutrition, regular meals, getting to sleep at a decent hour, drinking water, etc. Don't forget to take care of yourself!

Praying for you!

Eric McLin

Post by Eric McLin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 am

Dear Mom,

Anxiety and uncertainty create stress in the body. Our brains can be overloaded with so much going on as in your case of moving and caring for your kids. Naturally, you are very anxious. This would be a normal response in most people. Ms. Lucinda Bassett mentions in her session on "How to Control Scary Thoughts" that sometimes Over analytical people with anxiety create other fears and obsessive thoughts in order to phase out what really is bothering us. The thought of going crazy or developing schizophrenia can be quite frightening. The chances of that happening are virtually impossible.

Schizophrenia involves delusions, hallucinations, and breaks from reality. You are very much in this reality and are caring for your family and your pet animals. The disease of schizophrenia develops mostly in the 20's for men and a little later for women. You cannot cause yourself a disease of the mind that is of this order. Neither can I think myself into having cancer or a brain tumor.

I applaud you for staying strong and dealing with a lot on your plate. Perhaps, you can slow down a little and take 15 minutes a day to use deep breathing exercises. Use Lucinda's relaxation tape or Cd at least two times per day. Love yourself and give yourself permision to relax. Delegate activities if you need to. You are an imperfect creature like everyone else. Focus on loving your husband and kids and your grandparents the best you can. Allow God to take care of the rest. Make yourself a promise that you will do what you can, and leave the rest for tomorrow. Thank you for being such a loving parent. You are way ahead of a lot of mothers in this world. May I wish you an early Happy Mother's Day !

6bcban

Post by 6bcban » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello dear-

I want you to know I thought the same about 10 years ago, when I also had two small boys like you. I understand and am sorry for these feelings. But I also want to offer you some advice I heard about 7 years ago that put an end to that fear forever! That is, if you are worried about going "schizo", don't- you won't! Schizophrenia is a serious mental illness where the sufferer looses all sense of reality. But, OCD and anxiety can drive the person to feel he/she has lost her mind and is thus "going insane". When in fact, we are the ones causing our own fears and worries. And just remeber if you are logical enough to even worry about loosing your mind or having a serious mental illness like schizophrenia- you won't. Schizophrenia sufferers do not worry they are going insane because unfortunatley they cannot. (They cannot think logically when ill). But one day hopefully they will be relieved from those sever trials. But for you for now, put that out of your mind forever- for I know firsthand that you can conquer this and you can overcome these feelings.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”