Does Abilify help with OCD?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
yun38

Does Abilify help with OCD?

Post by yun38 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I am suffering from OCD and like to ask if anyone felt better who used Abilify?

NeedAdvice

Re: Does Abilify help with OCD?

Post by NeedAdvice » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I did a quick search and did not see much about OCD and this drug. It says it is an atypical antipsychotic and antidepressant used in the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and clinical depression.
Was you given this already for another diagnosis?
If you're just OCD then your best bet, medication wise, would probably be a class of anti-depressant (not an antipsychotic). Something like prozac or luvox. There's some SSRIs, a class of anti-depressants, that help more than other SSRIs, but each person is different.
I don't know enough about it to say for sure and I don't know your scenario. This is just my opinion.
You should see a doctor. I'm not a doctor.
I take Prozac for anxiety and ocd and I take Xanax when the anxiety is terrible.

yun38

Post by yun38 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks for trying though, appreciated! Actually I also have anxiety disorder and my first shrink told me I likely have general anxiety disorder. The new shrink I am seeing currently is telling me to take Abilify which just seems weird to me since at this moment my ocd and anxiety disorder are still my two main problem.

Any suggestion or why you think my doctor would tell me to take Abilify?

lastly, does Lucinda Bassett program really help someone with very moderate ocd? Whatever you have to say, I love to hear them and thanks for any help!

NeedAdvice

Post by NeedAdvice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 pm

I really don't know why they would put you on abilify, unless maybe...They think you have depression and that your anxiety stems from your depression.
As for the program...I haven't even tried it yet, but the people on this forum seem to know a lot and have benefited from it. I'd say that it was worth a try.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”