Thoughts about hurting someone I love.

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
kitmccain

Thoughts about hurting someone I love.

Post by kitmccain » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I am only 23 I just bought StressCenter program but my fear is that I am going to commit suicide or hurt my 4yr old daughter and it scares me. 1 year ago is when I had my first obsessive thought and fears and its been a year of hell. I know I don't want to do bad things but my thoughts scare me and i feel guilty even though i have not done or act on anything. Please help I am scared and feel so alone.

coach21

Re: Thoughts about hurting someone I love.

Post by coach21 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey Kitmccain,

Could not help but respond to your post in that I had the same symptoms of anxiety (same scary thoughts). Congrats in taking the first steps to recovery. I have a wealth of experience and have helped many help themselves insignificize this symptom of anxiety ultimately re-establishing their confidence. Recovery starts with education so lets start with some facts.

The mere fact that you experienced anxiety after these thoughts is pure evidence supporting the fact that you are unable to carry out thoughts of this nature ie. "these thoughts scare me..".

I've learned thoughts regarding suicide fall under three categories
1) Suicide gesterers: These individuals attempt suicide as a mere cry for help. Their attempts are not carried out with any lethality ex. A young adolescent become frustrated and takes 10 aspirin and gets sick.
2) Suicide completers: These individuals find complete comfort in these thoughts. They plan their suicide with much lethality and find peace in their decision. They create a detailed plan and write letters to loved ones generally in good moods being at peace with their decision.
3) Majority of the popultation: Those who have fleeting thoughts of suicide out of frustration ie. adolescents and young adults going through growth spurts. Those prone to anxiety who were born analytical and sensitve; two great traits but when used in a counterproductive manner creates a circle of anxiety (our category). Good news is if you are capable of thinking yourself into anxiety then you are capable of thnking yourself out.

In response to "hurt my four year old daughter...". Again, the mere fact you initially experienced anxiety after these thoughts is pure evidence that you are incapable of acting on these thoughts ie "these thoughts scare me..". Those we do act on these thoughts are diagnosed as pathological. They find comfort in these thoughts and would be nowhere near the StressCenter.com website reaching out for help as per the thoughts themselves.

In response to "I feel guilty even though I have not done or act on anything....". You feel guilty because you've established and reinforced an irrational conclusion that these thoughts represent you in some way. You inserted question marks where God put periods. Reality is numerous studies have been done supporting the fact that all humans get thoughts of this nature. In 1996 Dr. Eric Klinger's research concluded that humans have approximaely 4,000 distinct thoughts in a in a six-teen hour day. Thirteen percent of these thoughts are spontaneous occuring without any intended purpose. 50% of men and 42% of women reported intrusive thoughts of hurting a family member. Many of the thoughts reported were quite out of charecter and shocking. Research concluded that the average person has approxiamtely 520 spontaneous intrusive thoughts each day.

Those prone to anxiety get into the habit of chasing these thoughts down in a counterproductive, analytical, "what if?" manner establishing and reinforcing irrational conclusions ie. "what if I am crazy?" "What if I commit suicide?" "What if I hurt my child?" thus creating a circle of anxiety due to being uneducated. Reality is these thoughts are a mere symptom of anxiety and do not represent you in any way. I've been through the self imposed hell you alluded to and I along with thousands of others have recovered completely, insignificizing these thoughts and re-establishing our confidence. Know that you are a success waiting to happen. Feel free to e-mail me directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com or through this website. I am employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and have lots of experience and resources to share as per this symptom of anxiety. God wants you to "thrive" not "survive". God bless and go for it!!!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”