How do you cope when the scary thoughts get BAD??

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
strawberry_shortcake

How do you cope when the scary thoughts get BAD??

Post by strawberry_shortcake » Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 am

Hey all, I've been on this forum for awhile...took me awhile to finally sign up for it to tell you the truth...I was nervous, scared and anxious that people weren't feeling the same way I was and that I was losing my mind. To make a long story short, I think I've obsessed about just about everything from what if I punch this person I'm talking to (even when I liked them) to hurting loved ones, to what if I'm just dreaming this or am already insane and have made up this little world I'm living in. I think we all have those moments when it just feels like there's too much to deal with and you need to escape, somewhere, anywhere and just BE.

The reason I'm writing this forum however is to discuss some of our coping methods. I feel like maybe hearing how some other people out there are coping may make me feel better about sometimes just taking the easy route and finding something to alleviate some of that uncomfortable C. R. A. P. we all have the pleasure of going through. Your coping methods may be funny or very common, but the point is to see how many of us are coping in similar ways so we realize how alike we really are.

Now....a few things I've done....scream out loud in the car. I don't recommend this to those traveling in heavy traffic....I've been the focus of an entire 10 car radius.......and because we were at a perfect standstill within seconds of my doing this....I couldn't drive away...and realized the back window was rolled down.

I like to surf YouTube when I can't sleep and find something funny, cute or sad that will take my
Mind off of going "crazy". Among my favorite clips; Death star canteena, and the Trololo sing along! I suggest you watch this at least once...if you're having a bad day it won't last long once you hear this guys sing. No one can watch it without at least cracking a smile.

Annnnnd for those really bad nights....like tonight when my wonderful husband is snoring and offering no support on my inability to control my crazy thoughts (i.e. never being able to sleep again)....I pop in The Holiday on the DVD player and watch it. I guess I like the movie so much because it's about one person (Kate winslette's character) being able to break down her mental barriers of being in love with someone who doesn't love her and depressed and overcoming it all by the end....plus it's a cheesy chick flick and I love a good girlie movie!

So, if you have anything that helps you cope on those days that you just have to give in and ride out the storm, post it! I'd love to see how many people have coped in similar and different ways and what works best for you.

All the best to my fellow sufferers and those of you who need to cheat once in awhile and use some old coping method just to get you through. We are a pack of wonderfully, unique, and imaginative people who will make it through the storm one wave at a time....I'm just glad to know some fellow sailors out there are riding the same storm, it makes me feel like I'm not fighting this alone. :D

supportingeachother

Re: How do you cope when the scary thoughts get BAD??

Post by supportingeachother » Mon May 30, 2011 10:44 pm

The more you learn to "embrace" the scary thoughts (As crazy as that sounds) the less scary they become. I know for those of us who have thoughts such as what if I hurt someone, etc. this can be hard since the last thing you want to do is embrace such a horrific thought. But that is the point, as long as you think it is horrific then you are OK, it is the people who actually want to do these things who are actually not OCD but something else. So, it's not that you are accepting that you want to do _____. Instead, you are saying to yourself, " I know that this isn't me and I know I would never _____so go ahead thought and try to mess with me and float around in my head all you want because I am not afraid of you, I know who I am and I know this is not me, but my OCD." Sometimes, when you feel real comfortable you might even say over and over in your head, " I am a ____(insert scary thought), I am ______" on purpose just to show your mind that you are in control of this OCD thing and you can chose when to have the thought, and no that it is not true.

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Great stuff, both of you!!!

I know that for me with my OCD, I see where it is TOTALLY related to feeling out of control with something that is REALLY going on in my life, such as a relationship, or just what I am doing with myself! THAT'S when the second-guessing comes in about silly things like door-knobs, or the scary thoughts about "What if I sinned," "What if I did blah blah blah," "What if I should be doing this..." etc.

My coping skills are varied. Sometimes it just helps me to blast some music that's good and positive!

I also really enjoy basketball, so I might just go outside and shoot around and that automatically fills me with more confidence.

I also really like exercising, that helps me a lot.

Another coping mechanism that I have is to talk to someone else, get on the phone with a friend.

Also, making to-do lists is a good thing too, it gets you focused on yourself and what you can do THAT MOMENT to further your actual LIFE, instead of what's going on in your head.

And also, speaking Scripture to myself is a good one too. Of course, not to do it to the point of OCDing on THAT is important, because sometimes people will do that but feel like they HAVE to speak the scriptures and it becomes a compulsive thing.

And, I enjoy the piano, so sometimes I will sit down and just play some songs, and that helps to get my mind onto the music and off of whatever I am thinking.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 5:27 pm

I like you ideas! They are great! :mrgreen:

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”