dream like feeling!!!

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
gemini0521

dream like feeling!!!

Post by gemini0521 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I started on this program in october and have not had full blown anxiety in a few months, and its been great! Sometimes though I get those horrible thought about hurting my youngest chlld, but I don't really get anxiety over it anymore, just makes me mad and I hope that they are just thoughts!!!!! I wish they would just go away. Is this normal to get these thoughts, but no anxiety really over them anymore?? And also last night out of no where, I got the unreality feeling and started freaking out, I don't know how to conquer that feeling, it scares the crap out of,me and I just want to die! I used to be afaid of dying but not anymore, I sometimes wish god would just take me away from this misery!!! Anyone with any advice please help!!!!

Pauly J

Re: dream like feeling!!!

Post by Pauly J » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 am

First off, yes, your thoughts of hurting your child is just that, irrational thoughts! You do not have to experience anxiety to have that thought in your head! These intrusive thoughts remain, and sometimes go away, especially if you don't react in fear or anger to them! If you have no intentions of hurting your child, and I know that you don't, then you can be assured that is just a thought, and nothing more! If you are not experiencing any anxiety over these thoughts these days, you may be very near to having these thoughts go away altogether! When you don't fear, or give these thoughts power, they tend to diminish, and leave your mind!

The feeling of unreality, or "derealization" as most call it, is a very uncomfortable, and sometimes scary thing! You can still function normally, doing daily tasks, even though you are experiencing this! Do not give this feeling any power! This will go away eventually! If you don't give it power, and you don't pay attention to it (and I know its hard), this, too will pass in time! How do I know this? I have been through it!

Take care, push forward, and do not give up! There is always hope, lots and lots of it!

pauly j

coach21

Re: dream like feeling!!!

Post by coach21 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey Gemini,

Couldn't help respond to your post in that the thoughts of which you described were one of my symptoms of anxiety. Congrats on your progress in insignificizing this symptom. As per your statement "just makes me mad and I hope these are just thoughts....". All humans get obscure thoughts of which you describe. Dr. Eric Klinger's research in 1996 indicated that the average person has 4,000 distint thoughts in a sixteen hour day. Approximately 13% of these thoughts are spontaneous occuring without any intended purpose. Individuals reported many of these thoughts were quite out of charecter, even shocking. Thus the average person experiences approximately 520 spontaneous intrusive thoughts per day. Those prone to anxiety however are a little more analytical and sensitive than the norm. Consequently we follow this intrusive thought up in an analytical what if manner establishing and reinforcing irrational conclusions i.e. "am I capable of carrying out thoughts of this nature?" "I must be pathological or going crazy!" leaving ourselves in a circle of anxiety. We do this because we are human and uneducated about anxiety. The key to full recovery is responding rationally to the irrational what if thought's that follow these intrusive thoughts. for example "I wish they would go away.....". First of all there is no "they". All we are talking about is obscure automatic thoughts. Secondly, as per the aforementioned data every human gets spontaneous thoughts of this nature. You are in the majority. To have a goal of eliminating these thoughts is irrational and just leads to anxiety/frustration. Reality is these thoughts don't represent you in the slightest bit and are just an insignificant symptom of anxiety as are the feelings of unreality. Reality is those who carrying out those thoughts are pathological, find comfort in these thoughts and obviously would be nowhere near this website. In regards to your statement "Is it normal to get these thoughts but feel no anxiety over them anymore?..." Absolutely. A common question at your stage of recovery. This means you are making progress and successfully insignificizing these thoughts. Congrats! In regards to your statement "Don't know how to conquer that feeling?" To conquer the feeling we need to repsond rationally to the thoughts that initiate the feeling. i.e. "It scares the krap out of me"..."i want to die.."..."wish God would take me away from this misery!!" Reality is thousands of individuals have successfully recovered from debilitating anxiety and re-established their confidence. Reality is you thought yourself into this condition thus you possess the ability to think yourself out. When we believe we can't recover we feel frustrated i.e. "not afraid of dying....wish God would take me away..". A rational reaction to an irrational belief. I know because I've been there. We we focus on the solution and implement a sound recovery plan we begin to believe in victory and begin feeling victorious. We transform ourselves from a victim like thinker to a victor like thinker. You've made progress Gemini... keep going for it!! I am employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and have lots of experience with this particular symptom. E-mail me anytime for support through peer support or directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com. God Bless and go for it!!!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”