worried about surgery please help

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Debbi T.

worried about surgery please help

Post by Debbi T. » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 am

I was wondering if you guys could get me through my scheduled thyroid surgery next week. I was supposed to go this past Monday 2-14-11, and canceled do to cold. (just an excuse, said I had a fever.) Sunday night I might have slept 1 hr. I stayed up all night thinking how I was gonna get out of it. Went to doc really have an upper respitory infection. Thank god. They rescheduled surgery for next Thursday 2-24-11 so I have a week to live. My family was so disappointed in me. I have read everything on the interned that there is to read, I could of told that Doctor what he was going to do to me. I am petrified of being put to sleep for 3 hrs. I've been dealing with this since January, and its been one thing after another. First the ultra sound easy, then the biopsy so so, then the pre-op testing which I had myself dying with the lung xray, so freaked out the poor lady doing the xray showed me nothing was standing out. Met with surgeon he explained it would be 3 hrs. and that they could hit my vocal cords, or these glands that regulate calcium. So obsessing about that, but mainly going to sleep. I cant stop, my poor family 4 children, and my little hotdog. I'm so down, I dont even hear them talk I'm like ok, but my mind is focused just on going to sleep. I keep thinking I will never see them again, and they all still need me. Please help me with better thoughts. Thank you

Paisleegreen

Re: worried about surgery please help

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Well, first thing is that you can ask for a something to calm you down when you start to get prepped for your surgery. When I had simple surgery done that I was put out, they put something in my IV while I was in the pre op room where they get you into a nightgown, etc. That really helped, because as I was being wheeled into the operating room or getting close to that happening I was really anxious. They also can give you a little bit of Xanax to take just before as well. But you don't need to start taking that if you don't want to. I wouldn't if you can survive w/o them. I hope things will work out for you. Pailsee

Debbi T.

Re: worried about surgery please help

Post by Debbi T. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughts, went all the way down there got as far as the gown, and never went through with it. They offered a xanax, but I'm a med phobic. Anyway it is something that has to be done. I'm lucky I have a great understanding Surgeon, any many great friends, and family, we will try again. I just have to suck it up, gain some courage, put some obsessive thinking aside, and do it. It's possible thyroid cancer I have to do it. Anyway I so appreciate your reply, thank you so much. Debbi :D

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”