Is obsessive thinking a form of OCD?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
shello

Post by shello » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 am

That is great advice. I think that's why I have restarted and never finished the program. I felt like I had to do it perfectly. So when I didn't I would just stop. Then when anxiety got bad I would start over again and then mess up on getting it done in a week and would stop again.
Wow giving my self permission to take longer than a week may be just what I need to at least get through all the sessions.
I am having a very anxious day today. Pulse is 120 right now. I just ate breakfast (pancakes, butter, syrup) immediately I had to go to bathroom. Freaked me out. What if I am allergic to pancakes all the sudden or have gotten food poisoning from them. UGH. I have to stop doing this to myself.
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 am

yeah.. I am really noticing that the sugar REALLY DOESN'T HELP! UGH! But it tastes so good! Yum! :) Well, so what if you get food poisoning? Most of the time, it just makes one feel icky and sick. But yeah, it isn't fun to have those scary thoughts is it? I go to heart attack or stroke because my dad died of a heart attack and I surely have his temperment and my grandmother died of a stroke. Yay me! Of course, there is Leukemia in my family too..so I really can have a hay day when my anxiety goes awry.

Shello..maybe give yourself a laugh..? Maybe stop taking yourself so seriously.. :) *playful poke* We are all in a bad habit boat of swirling negativity. A little Light laughter is good food for the Soul. I try to roll my eyes, shake my head in a lighthearted playful way and say, "Sheesh..you silly silly girl." Something I would do for a friend or family member that caught themselves overreacting to something.

shello

Post by shello » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:18 am

Molly- I so need to laugh!!
Last thursday I was at my psychologists and in the middle of our session he's like do you have time to take the MMPI? Lets make sure your anxiety isn't misdiagnosed. He was hinting at OCD> because I am obsessed with finding a cure- I am online constantly and now I am obsessed with thinking I am going to have food allergies! Like all of the sudden I will eat something, have an anaphylactic reaction and well have to go to the ER, get an epinephrine shot and how will I deal with epi? I have anxiety- I will freak out. I am a nurse and half the nurses I know work at the ER I would have to go to and HOW EMBARRASING!!!
I have never been allergic to food in my life.
Its like I conquer one fear and then start obsessing on another.
So now I worry that I have OCD. I know I have obsessive worrying. I guess its the same thing anyway.
I need to chill out. He wants me to watch what about Bob. Because he was in constant fear. I am not that bad yet but I seem to be getting worse and not better. I think I go in cycles.
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

I have Obsessive Personality Disorder...it is a little different but sometimes I just get stuck on one thing and yeah...the crowd (in my head) goes WILD! Lol! I think going in cycles is typical. I know our hormones are affected by the moon so why wouldn't the rest affect us as well..environment?

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:45 am

My Dr wanted me to watch What About Bob as well, but I told him I already have the movie and love it! LOL! It's great! :D

shello

Post by shello » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 am

I love that movie to. I need to watch again now that I have anxiety.

xlostgirlx

Post by xlostgirlx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 pm

I love that movie to. I need to watch again now that I have anxiety.

gdoct

Re: Is obsessive thinking a form of OCD?

Post by gdoct » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

I obsess about what I'm thinking, because sometimes if I don't think obsess with my thinking I feel like I'm going to go nuts with just my subconsious taking over most of it!

I know it sounds pretty weird!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Is obsessive thinking the same as worrying all of the time, like in Session Nine ?
I don't have OCD but I know that it can cause a lot of anxiety. What about
ADHD. Do OCD and ADHD go hand in had, if you have one do you have the other ?

Lynda

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 am

OCD is a condition that involves lowered seratonin levels in the brain, which makes it harder to put up the STOP sign for the obsessive thinking. ADHD is caused by low dopamine levels. So they're not really related.

OCD is a compulsive disorder. So while worry is often a bad habit that we do over and over again, if it's not compulsive (like, "I need to think this thought again to make sure everything is okay"), then it's not OCD. This is my opinion, based on OCD books that I have read and my own experience. :)

The best thing for just worrying OR obsessing is to practice again and again putting up that STOP sign, and then postponing the anxious thought. Give yourself x amount of minutes to work on that worry though, then MOVE ON. Easier said than done, but you can do it!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”