Cant controll my thoughts

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
JPM

Post by JPM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 am

I am constantly thinking of thoughts that cause me to fear I've lost my salvation. I think evil things that, I know I don't mean. These thoughts cause me to be anxious and scared a great deal of the time. Just started counseling and program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 pm

JPM, I think I experienced something similar to what you are experiencing. I used to have blasphemous thoughts pop in my head that would cause me great discomfort. The more I tried to supress the thoughts, the stronger they became. If I tell you not to think of a white elephant, what is the first thing that pops into your mind? A white elephant of course.

You have to realize the thoughts are just thoughts. The less attention you pay to them, the less power they will have over you.

Lee Baer, David Burns, and Judith Rappaport (author of "the boy who couldn't stop washing"), are doctors who have written books on anxiety/OCD/ that have really helped me. The Obsessive Compulsive Foundation is also a valuable resource. You are not alone.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”