Obsessing over my life! Are we our own worst critics?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Spencer709

Post by Spencer709 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:10 am

Hi, 28 year old male here diagnosed with OCD, mostly Pure O but some compulsions as well. Recently my girlfriend and I had been leasing a house together but things were not that great (we rushed into it, managed to live together for 2 years but needed a change) Anyhow, I am now living in an apartment and she is living with a roomie and we still see each other and things are going ok. I guess the thing with me is that I am now 28 years old, living in a basement apartment and that makes me think very less of myself. I feel that my time is running out, and I need to make a move to buy a house / get married / have kids etc. Since all this happened with my girlfriend I dont think we should make that commitment quite YET. Not saying that we wont, but not right now. I guess I am just bummed about where I am in life. Although I have a nice car, nice things, a good job, etc; living in a basement apartment makes me feel less of a man of 28 years. I should have my own house, wife, etc. Anyone else ever feel this way? It always seems to be one thing or another with me, I always find something about myself to beat myself up about. Its Brutal!!

Shandy Pants

Post by Shandy Pants » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Yea I feel like I am a loser all the time. It really sucks. I get very hopeless and feel like I am going to be stuck in this weird limbo all my life. I am 23 years old, married and going to school. I have no idea what I want to do as a career and no idea what I should major in. I'm not even sure I want to finish school today. I don't have a job. I have been looking, but I am so darn picky. I feel like where I work reflects who I am as a person. It's stupid! I am so afraid that I won't ever figure things out. I am so hard on myself. I feel like people who don't work are lazy and that makes me feel awful about myself. But I am so anxious all the time and I am scared to get a job. So yeah, I know how it feels to be your own worst critic. I am a pro at it. Ive been trying to use positive self talk, but it is really hard to keep it up when I start feeling cruddy.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”