Anyone Else With Dermatillomania (Chronic Skin-Picking)?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Lady_Tenebrae

Post by Lady_Tenebrae » Mon May 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello All,

I have Dermatillomania, or Chronic Skin-Picking. It is a form of self-injury and is also sometimes classified as a form of OCD, as it is brought on by stress, anxiety, and worry.

To make matters worse, I also have bad body acne and folliculitis (plugged hair follicles), so there's plenty of bumps on my skin to pick at :(

Though I still do it, I was put on Geodon, a mild anti-psychotic, to try to counteract it. Fortunately it helps a lot. However, I now have embarrassing scars all over my body, as i used to pick so bad I'd even get large infections and then pick at those...

(This is kinda gross but I feel I should explain my feelings, so only read if you want.) When I pick it's this OVERWHELMING feeling that I need to get the substance out from under my skin. Just knowing it's there will cause me to obsess over it and I'll just keep thinking about it until I get it out. I'll use my fingertips, nails, or even tweezers to pick at the substance until I get it out. Sometimes it will even cause quite a bit of pain but I bear it because at the same time it calms me and causes satisfaction.

The scarring makes me so self-conscious, especially in intimate situations. I always feel unattractive because of it. I get all nervous and often it leads to anxiety.

Has anyone else ever had any experience with CSP or know anyone who has? I have yet to find someone with a similar problem I can talk to about this. Any input appreciated!
Be who you are and say what you feel for those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. ~Dr. SeussIn Love and Light,~*Lady Tenebrae*~

Post by Guest » Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 am

I have been a skin-picker for 30-35 years, almost entirely on my lips especially the lower one. When I feel a patch of rough skin, I start picking/pulling it. Most of the time I do it when I am nervous or worried. Once in a while I will pick when I am neither nervous or worried.

Like you I bear the pain, the occasional bleeding, and the often red patch that results from the picking. (Lip balm or a Chap Stick type product is my remedy.) And like you, the picking calms me and satisfies. It also a mental blocker for whatever is making me nervous.

I've never really sought treatment though I have done research on the net. I've usually had a bigger ailment than CSP to tend to. The only med I've taken for it--well, more for the worry and anxiety--is a little Xanax.

I went back in my old browser Favorites and found these links. I hope they help.

http://www.stoppickingonme.com/

http://facepick.tripod.com/

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6762687.html

Post by Guest » Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 am

Thank you, Lady Tenebrae, for your honesty. I have never read about anyone else having these same issues. Thanks, Charlie for the links which I will research more at length later.

Post by Guest » Fri May 28, 2010 3:24 pm

You're welcome!
Welcome to the forum!
:)

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Yes, i do it too, it feels amazing, but its made my arm skin look disgusting. I could spend hours in front of the TV tweezing out ingrowing hairs, squeezing imaginary zits and peeling off fine layers of skin.
Problem is if i stop, then i end up compulsively eating instead and i think i'd rather be a little injured than a lot fat.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”