obsession with sleep

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
ladylove

Post by ladylove » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 am

I think Im going to go crazy!!!I have been suffering with insomnia for two straight months now...It started out with just being restless and getting to bed to late...now Im lucky to get 4 hours of sleep at night....I worry myself all day about bedtime..and Im afraid by the little amount of sleep im getting is going to hurt me or something....I was doin better for a week, and then it came back....I cant get a rid of the obsessing over it...or I feel like I cant...I have two kids to take care of , so I dont have time for this stupid problem..lol..has anyone had this problem and did it last this long???I feel like Im alone in this....sometimes I lay in bed and open my eyes to check the clock and time has went on, and Im like "was I asleep or awake??" I dont feel like i was asleep, but I dont think I was thinkin of anything???I dont know ..I think Im strange or somethin....somebody talk to me or somethin:)

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I am going through something similar. I have been having episodes of restlessness. I have it alot at bedtime. I hate it. I don't know if my meds are causing it or not. Are you on any meds? Some anti-depressants can cause restlessness. I was taken off of Abilify for that reason. Try, and I know it's hard, not to obsess over it because obsessing makes it worse. I try to just lay there and say a prayer that I can fall asleep fast. It's the only thing that I can do.

ladylove

Post by ladylove » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I have been on lexapro 10mg for 4 years...I dont think its even helping me anymore...yeah, I say a prayer before bed too, I dont know...guess its just gonna have to take trainin my mind to think positive about sleep instead of negative...Its hard thats all...hopefully it wont be like this too much longer...i hope to get more then 3 hours tonight, i have a appt with my counceler tommorrow...wich is a good thing;)

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 am

I had insomnia like this for several months a few years ago. I too would get anxious as the day started to end. I can recommend some things...

First, it's good to get outside and get some exercise during the day. Try going on a 30 minute walk. But DON'T exercise within three hours of going to bed.

Try as much as you can to avoid caffeine, at least in the late afternoon and near bedtime.

Also, bright lights are bad close to bed, even computer lights. They interfere with the body's production of melatonin and seratonin too. It's important to get not be on the computer later in the evening.

I take Valerian Root, an herb, which helps to relax your body. You might want to try taking one of those before bed.

The relaxation tape is very helpful for relaxing your body before bed. I do mine every night and I know it helps me to fall asleep faster now.

Avoid sugar close to bed too.

Also, I know it sounds strange, but try and accept the fact that your body doesn't want to sleep, instead of trying to fight it. That just makes the cycle worse, if you're lying there worrying that you can't sleep. Try and get up and do something, with the lights low, or try counting sheep (that actually does work!). Tell yourself that it's okay if you don't sleep. You'll be okay.

I hope some of that helps. :)

ladylove

Post by ladylove » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 am

Neverquit..thank you for the advice, every bit helps:) I just hope i can get back to normal quick...I start college again by the 3rd, so i have to beable to function...and not only that..its the holidays!!I dont want to be actin like a grouchy grinch for christmas..lol..cuz im tired ...oh well....yeah , i need to try to just accept it and maYBE that will make it go away sooner...i hope:)

TrustinginHim

Post by TrustinginHim » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 pm

One more thing, don't look at your clock anymore at night because then u set limits, trust me it works! Talk to u soon

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:24 am

I agree with NeverQuit-- I was going to suggest the same things. I never thought of the computer causing problems. That might explain why I'm not getting to bed sooner. :p I can tell that since I'm not getting as much exercise in during the day that it is affecting my sleep somewhat.

Hope you are doing better... :) Paislee

ladylove

Post by ladylove » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:14 am

Yes ..I definetly should exercise ...I guess i dont cause I physically feel like im worn out...idk...but i suppose if i really was i would be sleeping more at night..lol...I have a lot to work on...Merry christmas everyone!!!!

ladylove

Post by ladylove » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:20 am

oh...my husband got me some aromatherapy with lavendar and chamomille pillow spray...and stress pillow spray for christmas...they smell so good that i think they might really help:)

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm

I was going to recommend lavendar, I have heard that that's a good relaxer! lol How are you sleeping now? God bless!

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”