preventing an obsessive episode?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 am

Has anyone ever had success with preventing the onset of an obsessive episode? That would be the nice thing to be able to do instead of just dealing with them after you're already tied into knots with it.

Has anyone ever been able to notice it, and then choose not to react to it, and then let it float out? And prevent it from turning into a bonfire in your mind?

brandonmississippi

Post by brandonmississippi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:22 am

Well, yes. You develop some techniques as you go along. I could stop and look at a picture of a loved one, and obsess over it, or I can just choose to walk away. Usually I make myself obsess, and 90% of the time I have absolutely no control I feel like. But 10% of the time I can go do something fun like work on my car, and my mind goes strictly to what i'm doing. I find that it HAS to be something you love that will take your mind off of the obsessions.

Russ K

Post by Russ K » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 am

I agree, you have to just get your mind away from (distraction) whatever it is your obsessing on... practice, practice, pratice! Of course, that's a lot easier said than done, but the best and easiest way... doing something (else) you really love to do! A good book that explains techniques you can use to do that... Brainlock by Jeffrey Schwartz
`

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”