can I trust

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
raven1976

Post by raven1976 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 am

My therapist has said I have OCD. My OCD is fear I am a pedophile. How can I trust a therpaist that believes pedophiles are those who only act. That is not even correct information and I have told her that yet she continues to say it is OCD.
raven1976

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

I have a similar problem with OCD. I've just started seeing a therapist, and am new to this forum, so I'm no expert.
I've read a lot of other people's posts that say that the fact that you fear being a pedophile means that you are not one- real pedophiles don't fear what they are, they just are. A real pedophile isn't fearing that they are going to commit some heinous act, they look forward to it. This is a fundamental difference between pedophiles and people like us who have a fear- we don't want to do these things, while they do. You have CHOSEN to see a therapist rather than act out these thoughts that pop into your head, which is enough to convince me that you're not a bad person- again, I don't think people that act out pedophilic thoughts are trying to prevent themselves from doing so the way you are.
I think that may be what your therapist means. From what I've read the key element differentiating a real pedophile from someone like us with OCD is that fear that we have, which shows that we truly are the opposite of what we are afraid of becoming. And, it's no crime to have strange thoughts of any sort pop into your head, its choosing to act on some of them that can get a person in trouble. Thoughts are uncontrollable most off the time, at least for me. I hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I have heard that but the people on the other forum say pedophiles have anxiety too so I am very confused about who a pedophile is and isn't

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am

Yeah, i've had that problem, and still do to some extent. I think if we dwell on the thoughts too long that we may actually act on them. I'm sure pedophiles started out thinking just like us. Denial at first, then acceptance. I know that sounds scary, but it's true. I, however, don't want to be a pedaphile, and i'm doing something about it. I think that's what makes you different, the fact that you don't like it. I'm no expert, but i hope that made sense.

Post by Guest » Sat May 08, 2010 11:22 am

First off I am really sorry that you guys are going through this.
I myself am terrified I am going to kill someone, so I definately understand.

But do yourself a favor and PLEASE listen to your PDOC. If she thought that you were a pedophile (Fit the profile, showed tendancies) she WOULD say something.

I know it's hard to believe this when your mind is doing everything to convince you otherwise, but I assure you, you are NOT a pedophile.

One last thing - If you were a pedophile, I HIGHLY doubt that you would be posting about it on a public forum.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”