Scared of Walking in wide open spaces!

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Chilloutcathy

Post by Chilloutcathy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:21 pm

I don't know why in the world that all of a sudden I can't walk without feeling dizzy if I have to walk a short distance and there is no building or cars to see I freak myself out. I almost passed out the other day. Just out of the blue. I was pretty sure I was having a stroke or something. First my throat constricted and then my heart was beating so fast it scared me and I felt like I was getting ready to faint. I was walking with a co-worker, talk about embarrassed. UGH Anyway I have been off work for a few days, I am terrified to go back on Monday. I have some meds now so that may help me some.
Cathy
Cathy (Chill out)

Dona Dry

Post by Dona Dry » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:03 pm

HI Cathy,

I know what you are experiencing can be quite frightening I can imagine! Many years ago I used to walk in dept. stores and have all kinds of really strange symptoms like feeling dizzy and uneasy about being in the store. I wanted to leave and get out of the store. But I kept going back into the stores and after a while the feelings just left me.

My suggestion to you would be work the program, do your skills that you are taught, start training yourself to think and don't over react to situations. Work on your scary thoughts, they are not as scary as you may think! Take their power away and give them no value to control you. You are in control of your own life and how you feel and how to should act. Don't allow your body symptoms to contol you. YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF YOUR THOUGHTS AND HOW TO REACT TO SITUATIONS.

Take care,

Dona Dry

OpTiMiStIc~OnE

Post by OpTiMiStIc~OnE » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Wow! I'm redally glad that you posted this because I have been experiencing the same thing and I was kind of scared to post thinking maybe no one would be able to relate. It feels as though you are walking but get stuck in your tracks when the dizzy feeling hits and the more you try to walk it paralyzes you and you feel really strange huh? Thats me and I have heart palps with it too. What I have learned that helps is to have a little pep talk with myself right before going into the store or wherever it is that I may be going. Just remeber this is just anxiety and this too shall pass. May I add that this has to be the most trying symptom that I have had thus far. Things will get better. Take care and God Bless.. Also, feel free to pm me anytime.

Scarlett545

Post by Scarlett545 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:22 pm

I get that same feeling of dizziness and anxiety when I walk into big spaces like out of my car or especially if I enter a supermarket, pharmacy, or a food place, just any big building in general its really weird. It is just anxiety though but it's so scary.

I also get scared of taking showers like in the middle of taking a shower, I start panicking and want to get out. Also when I am brushing my teeth it's really weird. I don't understand those...it's really scary I don't know why that happens

izzapper

Post by izzapper » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 am

omg same i love to go to town with my friends but latley ive been feeling realllly dizzy wen we go to parks and such i have a big bed but its very small underneath i sleep under my bed i find it nice i havent told my mum that im scared of open spaces she will just think im lieing :| ahh what do i do!!
blum

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:42 am

well, guess i'm not crazy after all!! that's exactly what i've been battling! i posted yesterday but i can't remember what area i posted on -- i think it was the original site for october starting members -- about walking into the voting place and feeling like i was going to keep over! i get out of my car and feel wobbly, so what i do is stand in place for a minute and let my legs get used to standing up after driving (i'm 65 and i need to do that but maybe younger people don't have that part of the problem!) then i walk to the back of my car and stand there and breathe deeply, consciously drop my shoulders to relax them and tell myself it's OK and then i keep breathing deeply in and out to get there. sometimes i park near a cart so i can hold onto that to cross the parking lot, but i'm trying really hard not to allow myself that crutch. making sure to relaz my shoulders and neck and breathing deeply and slowly really helps. hope it'll help you too!

wayneg

Post by wayneg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55 am

hi for the past 4 months i have fear of space its like ive got theese thoughts about air and space and it scares me to the point where i wake up nervous its really awful i try mant things to distract me from it ill be honest i really do not know how this will ever go away any help will be appreciated .....wayne

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”