thyroid problems

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
mmac

Post by mmac » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has a thyroid problem along with anxiety etc. I had my thyroid tested with doctor and my results were "normal". I also see a nutritionalist and she thinks I'm hypothyroid due to my temperature, cold hands, feet, emotions, depression. I know there are new perameters for results, anyone have this same tie to anxiety?

Bees4me

Post by Bees4me » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:06 pm

I've had a thyroid problem for years and have been taking medication for it ever since. I know my doc takes a blood test to check on levels. I know if your levels are off, it can cause anxiety. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

I have found that since I have been on synthroid, I began in October 2006. My depression has been less. But it took several months of being on the medication and I am having a few not so good side affects. Racing heart on occasions. I am seeing my Doc tomorrow as a matter of fact. Maybe the ups and downs occur because the thyroid is still partially working..when it does levels change...then when it doesn't, levels change again??? The core temperature changes(at night when I would take a shower I would shake from chills, sometimes for an hour before I could get warm again) and high cholesterol levels, as well as depression and lethrgy are what tipped my doctor off to test my thyroid.

derfy

Post by derfy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Yes a major thyroid problem!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves...
who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be? --Unknown
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/loveyouguysWave.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/ValHeartsSmiHug.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/SigTags/LynneCocoaMo-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I just heard about Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It apparently typically involves a slow but steady destruction of the gland that eventually results in the thyroid's inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormone -- the condition known as *hypo*thyroidism. Along the way, however, there can be periods where the thyroid sputters back to life, even causing temporary *hype*rthyroidism, then a return to hypothyroidism. This cycling back and forth between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism is characteristic of Hashimoto's disease. So, for example, periods of anxiety, insomnia, diarrhea, and weight loss may be followed by periods of depression, fatigue, constipation and weight gain.

{I have cut and pasted the above from the site I found the info on.} Has anyone else read/heard about it? I had my thyroid tested, only to be told that it was fine. But I do have the periods of insomnia, diarrhea and weight loss, followed by periods of fatigue, constipation and weight gain. What if my thyroid was sputtering back to life at the time of the test; only to show a "normal" result? Any thoughts?

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:05 am

I have thyroid issues. There is a good discussion in Chronic Disease Sufferers>Thyroid Sufferers.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm

One other thing about hypothyroidism...

I just finished reading Session 5 (Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression), and I noticed it mentioned calcium as being calming.

My doctors have mentioned repeatedly that because I'm on thyroid replacements (levothroid), I need to take more calcium than women normally do - to the point that failing to do so can lead to osteoporosis. I'm thinking I just found another reason to get better about that...

I hate swallowing fat chalky pills - I just eat Tums for the calcium. Though there are also very nice calcium / vitamin D caramel chews... :) Generic Tums are a lot cheaper, tho.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”