Brain

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
BronzeStar45

Post by BronzeStar45 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:40 am

Is it bad that I sometimes try to "beat" my OCD? My therapist says that sometiems it's ok to give in and you don't always have to "beat" it. I bought a pool cue rack and my mind looked at it and sai "Thats the same color as a casket" so all I think about is death related to the pool cue rack, I am determined ot beat it and put it up anyway! Normally I would have just thrown it our and bought one that my mind dint react to but Im tired of doing that. Now I want to tear the damn thing off the wall but I am not allowing myself to. Does this make sense? Do I just rip it down hoping to feel better or to a dig through it and my mind will ease that I am "beating" it?

pau

Post by pau » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:47 am

You should read Freedom From Fear by Dr. Howard Liebgold. It's excellent for OCD and obsessive thinking. What you said is exactly what the book would say to do - if your "OCD mind" is telling you to do something (Liebgold calls it the "boo" voice) then do exactly the opposite. If you rip it down the pool cue rack then you will have to do more and more of these behaviors to satisify this urge. So, yes, don't take it down because in that way you are not giving in and this is a victory for you.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”