Really bad nightmares

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
amberlee

Post by amberlee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 am

Hi all,

I am having terriable nightmares. I had a nightmare this morning where I went to the bathroom to pop a pimple in the mirror and all of a sudden I grabbed my hair with both of my hands and started screaming like a crazy person. My nightmares have been really bad when I dont take my sleep medications, actually that is why I am on sleep medications because I cant sleep and when I do I have nightmares.

During the day I have OCD thoughts about killing people or myself or, losing control or going insane, or just weird and strange bizarreo thoughts. IF you want to read them I posted them on febuary 8 and the title is "More Scary thoughts". I just dont feel like typing them again.

Does anyone else have nightmares?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:30 am

Ugh, those nightmares must be horrible. I'm so sorry you are having them.

I know some folks reading this who are tired of my posts will probably be rolling their eyes but...

What was your diet like yesterday?

Did you eat any garlic or onions?

Did you eat a heavy meal close to bedtime?

Surely the meds have a hand in it, but I thought I'd mention diet "just in case".

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 am

Shifrah,

The last thing I ate was Pizza Hut Pizza. I woke up at 3:30 in the morning because the generic ambien I am taking does not help me sleep all night, so when I woke up I drank some chamomile tea to try and help me, but it didn't and I was hungry so I ate a piece of pizza. I know its weird pizza at 3:30am but I was hungry and I thought that maybe having something in my stomach would make me tired.

The pizza didn't have any garlic or onions on it and I didn't eat any garlic or onions during the day. I think I am having nightmares because all day long my mind is obsessing about the scary OCD thoughts.

I eventually fell asleep at 6:30am, but I was having nightmares and now all day I have been obessing over them.

I dont know if the ambien (generic) is making me have nightmares because I was having them before I started taking it.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 am

Just to test it, would you consider eating a banana or something light like applesauce or fruit for the next time you eat late or in the middle of the night?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 am

Yeah I could try it.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 pm

i've seen ambien do some weird stuff to people. whenever i take something to sleep my dreams are more intense and strange/usually more frightful. I know how precious sleep is though. Drugs definitely affect dreams and you might try something else. Recurrent nightmares are associated with PTSD but it could totally just be the ambien.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:57 am

me too amberlee. having them too. we seem to be going through this crap at the same time.
i feel for you trust me.

we should all just have a big insomniac slumber party.

this morning, we had incredible gusts of wind in NC. and i woke up to wailing whining outside my window. so now i have a fear i haven't felt since i was a little girl. ill make a new post, because i wanted to post on the subject. but im having nightmares too. i know what used to make me sleep good was to

a) read something happy before bed, daydream about something happy.
b) try to go to bed the same time every night
c) make yourself as comfy as possible- try lavender pillow sprays or a hot bath before bed.
d) do what you need to do to make you feel better. i'm agnostic and last night i was so terrified of my dreams i put on my moms cross necklace and prayed. it was comforting because it was mom, and because i have not completely refused the idea that maybe someone loving is up there watching over us. its just hard for me to accept completely due to some fears i have. see my other post.

if you ever want to chat with me feel free too. i also think chatting with people who have gotten through this is the main thing.

hope tonight is better for you.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 pm

amberlee,
I have terrible nightmares every night and I am so thankful there are others who have the same. Mine are very violent and almost every night I wake up in a cold sweat or I scream in my dream and it comes out a muffled scream which wakes up my fiance` then he wakes me up. I have more than one a night it is so terrible because I spend the next day wondering why they are so violent. I will give you an example of violent: the other night I had a dream I was in Walmart and All the sudden someone came in shooting like Columbine High School I saw everyone getting shot at and blood and guts. It was awful.

I had surgery two years ago and the doctor put me on ambien which made me feel so wierd, and I only ended up taking it two nights.
Recently I have been taking melotonin. Its a natural sleep aid you can find at any store and its inexpensive. I take usually 5 to 10mg before bed and It doesn't make me feel wierd or anything. It is also safe to take with xanax and things like that. It has helped me sleep usually through the night. I hope this helps:)
Anna

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Anna,

Thanks for the advice on the sleeping aid. I am currently taking ambien as well. At first I had a hard time sleeping with it, but for some reason when I take it with my paxil it makes me really tired within 20-30 mintues. Its weird.

Your nightmares sound really rough. The first really bad nightmare I had was about me killing my best friends baby with a knife and I woke up really upset that I ended up telling my boyfriend that I might as well take a gun to my head and put myself out of my misery. I was crying and now I can't even think of or look at a baby without thinking about that dream.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 am

Hi Everyone, I have been suffering from severe anxiety and severe insomnia for a while now and now I have disturbing thoughts about harming others (like loved ones, my beloved pets, just losing my mind and losing control)
I feel so wretchedly guilty about all of this even if the "spikes" subside a little.
I know it's all "o" OCD, but when you are experiencing at the time, it is intense so it's hard not to give emotions to it, but I know that's what we have to do.

anyhow, I know this is about nightmares which I also suffer from. First I'm afraid I can't get any sleep, then I'm afraid even if I go to sleep I'll have nightmares including violent and or just bizarre and strange that don't make no sense at all.

I rather get nightmares about me getting hurt then me hurting someoneelse.

I almost feel like when you sleep, your subconscious is the real you? is this in me? or is this anxiety/lack of sleep/ocd that I've been experiencing lately all influencing my dream?

I feel mentally exhausted, but I have to keep reminding myself don't feed the thought by reacting with fear or hysteria, but just say it's a thought, and I'm going to go about my day. someone said it's a "creative thought" and add humor. maybe we should do that we nightmares and dreams as well. It's just stupid thought and it don't mean we are like that or wishing that in some secret way.

I know it's hard, but I'm determined to get better. Let's stay strong and step one foot in front of the other and keep going. :)

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”