obsession only OCD

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
gadforme

Post by gadforme » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 pm

My other thread sank. I was asking about GAD and OCD together. Well, tonight I saw a new psychiatrist, who thinks I have OCD more so, but mainly obsessions, no compulsions. (my last psychiatrist said GAD) New one wants to try elavil. I am kind of nervous about it. The side effects, weight gain etc.

I read that obsession only OCD can happen, but most people with this find that their obsessions are not just excessive worries about real problems, but more intrusive thoughts. The stuff I worry about does not pop into my head, and they are things that can actually happen, excessive worries about real problems . So, this is confusing.

**Its a New Day**

Post by **Its a New Day** » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

I am sorry that your last thread sank! Obsessive OCD can be anything that you obsess on. It does not matter if it is something "real" or unlikely, it is the fact that it scares you and you are obsessing over it. I have been there and you can overcome it you just have to learn to stop thoughts that are intrusive regardless how likely they are. I hope this helps!!!

Chrystal

Judekitty

Post by Judekitty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I have the same thing going on--obsession only OCD. I have had several real problems in my life lately and I have totally obsessed about one aspect or another of them to the point of insanity! It is like I have this "worry monster" in my head that is taking these real problems and blowing them up and making unreal scenarios out of them. When one problem is solved it finds (or makes) another one to chew on. I am really working on making it stop. One thing I think is "Yeah, there's this problem, but is it worth making myself (and those around me) miserable about?" Finding solutions also helps...even if it's just one step at a time. I
We can beat this thing!

BeatAnxiety07

Post by BeatAnxiety07 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Hey gadforme,

I wish I had more time to be on here and discuss this. But basically, I just want to say that what you are describing is called pure-O (purely-obsessional OCD). I'm going to encourage you to read other posts in this forum-- there are millions of them on this subject. Also, "The Imp of Mind", by Lee Baer, is a book specifically written for this type of OCD; I believe Lee Baer actually coined the term pure-O.

Finally, go to this website: <A HREF="http://www.ocdonline.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ocdonline.com</A>

- Read the articles on that site, specifically: "Thinking the Unthinkable"

Good Luck... and you will definitely get through this! Millions already have!

"When you fear that you cannot, let that fear motivate you to prove that you can!"

gadocdforme

Post by gadocdforme » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 am

I had to re-register. Thank you all who replied. Judekitty, you sound like me. I have a very hard time stopping the worry, because there is some truth to some of my issues, I just over react, or I think of a "what if" that could happen, and in either case, blow it out of proportion and think and think, and try to figure out what I would do to solve it or prevent it, and in this have self doubts and tell myself it can't even be fixed. Sometimes it's a worry I worried about before, sometimes something new, that will pass and never be worried about again. I am also feeling a bit depressed(still over my mom's death few yrs ago) and I understand this all can go hand in hand. I need to do something along with the therapy. I am going to try medication. I may have to face the fact I may just need to be on something all of the time. I also go to therapy, but it seems I'm not doing well, maybe because I need to try harder with all of this. I am going to try the med, continue with therapy, and if I don't improve try another therapist who specializes in OCD. It's very difficult to find someone, especailly who take my insurance. I am going to research all the info you all gave me. But please reply if you can, I'm sorry you all suffer this, but I feel better knowing I'm not alone. Thank you all so much!

gadocdforme

Post by gadocdforme » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 am

Oh, I just looked up some of the info...it seems even with purely O , OCD, the thoughts are unwanted. The thoughts I have are wanted, if that makes any sense. I may see a commercial about radon, and obscess over that, or about mold issues in the home, and think we could have that, even though there are no signs that we do, or the cost of gas was veyr high in the last months hosuehold budget, and if that continues, we will go bankrupt, so i will go over these ideas in my head, make something out of nothing, and get very scared thinking the worst case scenario. Does this sound like purely O OCD ?

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:03 am

Worry is OCD, plain and simple. Don't badger yourself on what you do or do not have. The ego-thinking mind can not diagnose you so let that go.

Do the exercises to help you create a new habit of not worrying. There are positive ways to deal with all issues - ways that will not drive you nuts. We are never able to come up with true answers about anything while we are obsessing or anxious. Get out of the anxious, circular mind by practicing and working the program. Beat Anxiety has given you the answers that you seek. You have OCD, pure and simple. Doesn't matter if you worry about what is real or not real. Use the tools from the program to help you handle any kind of worry.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

gadocdforme

Post by gadocdforme » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:21 am

hi there. I suppose part of the OCD is control. I want to have control, and part of it, for me anyway, is HAVING to know. Yes, I must let go. I keep trying to click on the link about "the program", but I keep getting an error page. I'll keep trying. Is it something you can work on together with a therapist?

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”