Emotional Roller Coaster

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
emmaslave

Post by emmaslave » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 am

Hi everyone, I have Pure OCD that started 12/26/07 so all of these things that I am feeling are all very new to me. When you have OCD, are there moments when you feel really depressed and hopeless? I seem to be going through moments of staying positive to moments of hopelessness and self doubt. What makes it even more scary is that my OCD obsession is that I will hurt myself like my sister tried to recently. Which really freaks me out. Previous to this OCD I have never had thoughts like this. I think my sister's attempt to harm herself really brought this out in me because of the worry I have for her well being. When I feel hopless and depressed I feel like "Oh my god my worst fear is coming true!" It is a vicious cycle. I have been listening to positive music (Beautiful Day by U2) and it has helped. Does anyone have any advice for how they stay positive?

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:21 am

Emma, I am so sorry that you are going through this, so I hope what I have to say helps you. I totally understand what you're going through.
When I was 15, my mother was diagnosed with a mental illness. This is what, I believe, to have started my life with anxiety/depression. In a previous post I had mentioned that the FIRST initial Panic attack happened when I tried Marajuana for the first time, however, I do believe that I had generalized anxiety before than. It was because of what I seen my mother go through, and it frightened me to think that I could end up like that to. so, for you my friend, I'm NOT an expert, but I have an opinion..you said, in your post, that you were afraid of doing as your sister had attempted??? Well, that is similar to my fears of mental illness as my mother goes through. But let me tell you...I had a psychiatrist tell me long ago, for the simple fact that you "fear" becoming your mother, YOU WON'T! Most of the things us anxious fear, doesn't happen. Remember, you are you, NOT your sister! It's really difficult having a family member go through such heart breaking events, we feel helpless as we wish we could fix it all for them, but we CAN'T!! YOU need to take care of yourself, be easy on yourself, YOU ARE YOUR SAFE PERSON!!!! YOU ARE OKAY! journal, get out and breath the fresh air, live again... and give yourself a BIG hug and say "I love me"!
Hope this helps, We're all here for you!
TC and God bless
Robin
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

emmaslave

Post by emmaslave » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 am

Thank you so much! I'm having such a hard time trusting myself lately. I just wish I could convince myself that I don't want to do that. I have been obsessing about it all day and I think the fact that I am going on 3 hours of sleep doesn't help much either. Again I thank you for your positive attitude and faith in me. I think once I get a good night's rest a will have some faith in myself again :)

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:20 pm

OMG, three hours of sleep??? Yes, my dear, this is probably why you're feeling bad today! I know for a fact, and I was just telling my son this today, when I dont get enough sleep, I get edgy, cranky and a bit more anxious! it's something we NEED!!! Sleep, drink plenty of water and exercise! this would help tremendously. Still prayin for you!!!
TC- Robin
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

heisthegreatphysician

Post by heisthegreatphysician » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Emma, I keep finding your posts...Please contact me!

heisthegreatphysician

Post by heisthegreatphysician » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Mom of 6-

I am going through the same thing as emma has posted - exactly about hurting myself and afraid of it too...I do exercise drink water, etc, but I fear getting mental illness too....Can you help me as well?

Patricia

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”