alocholic family

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
tammyr

Post by tammyr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00 am

hi...
does anyone here im sure they may be alot of you that come from an alocholic family?
this background has caused some of my anxiety...
because you would not believe some of the things that have my family!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am

my sister is an alchoholic. and yes i think it can cause alot of your anxiety. i feel so bad for my nephews because they grow up w it and i know that they are going to need theapy. im sorry you grew up w that

bluekitty

Post by bluekitty » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:56 am

:)hi holly...
yes my whole family generations and generations are alcholic.. i just wanted someone on here 2 talk to it about
my 2 younger brothers are the worst alcholics ive seeen.. me , i haven;t drank anything since oct and probably won;t drink again!!
i was mostly a person who went out on sats nights to have fun...
my mom is 75 yrs old and an enabler... she still takes care of my 44 and 45 yr old brothers who can;t keep a job.. she will buy them beer! have you heard anything like this?? its so sad..
and has caused me some of the anxiety i have...
i know that i can;t change anyone! and i don't want too only they can change themselves! i want the cycle broke with me for me and my 2 kids
i will never be an enabler like my mother!
that has made me somewhat better just typing this out!!

Tammy

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:05 am

i can totally relate. my parents where alcoholics. it is what has caused all my anxiety, i think. my parents would get drunk everynight and then fight (phisically) i would never be able to sleep cause i would have to stay up and babysit them to make sure they didnt kill eachother. every night almost i would run to neibors houses for help or call 911. ive walked in on my dad with a knife up to my moms throut. it was bad!!! and then if one of them got taken to jail for the night they would blame me and make me cry. it really was horrible, so i just wanted to let you no your not alone! i no how it was. now that im out on my own (im 22) and have a great life now, its when all the anxiety really hit, which is weird that it would happen after i got away from all that. my dad died 2 years ago from drinking to mucha nd taking anxiety medication with it. i refuse to ever drink! im scared of it! i dont want to turn out like my parents. ok, well i just keep blabbing, but i just wanted to let you no your not alone, i also had an alcoholic family!

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:21 pm

enablers are the worst. they help them stay the way they are. im sorry ):
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:45 pm

I never associated having an alcoholic in the family with having anxiety but my father was and still is an alcoholic.

I remember always being nervous and fearful. I was definitely not a carefree child.

Even after many health problems, he continues to drink. He is prematurely old and not with it.
I think the only thing you can do for an alcoholic family member is pray for them.

For your own sanity, I would not recommend living in that situation. How can you work on your own weaknesses while watching the people you love self-destruct?
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:36 pm

tammyr,
no one that i can remember in my family was one but i was and after i quit drinking in 88 it was the worst time in my life for anxiety and panic.i do not have panic or anxiety now. but my ex would buy beer for her son which was my step son and it was also ok for him to use drugs and drink.. it killed him last year at the age of 39. he was a diebetic and his sugar got so hight that his blood should have been like syrup.he was in the hospital for a week..then he had a stroke the next week and seizures and never came to..life i think is what you make if it and i hope and pray that you and your family are ok.know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and let us know how you are doing...GOD BLESS...
don

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:11 am

With no disrespect to my Family but my Dad is an alcoholic, Grandma & uncle (both passed on to be with the Lord) alcoholics too. I don't think I got my anxieties from necessarily growing up watching all that, My Dad was what you call a nice alcoholic, very generous, adventerous etc.. but couldn't stay with any of his x's because he chose the beer and life style. Anyway's I think that underneath all that parting is a man who is very anxious, low self esteem and depressed and I might have some of those genes. Either way I have those personality traits. Maybe that's why I don't party and scared of med's.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:05 am

thanks everyone....
i choose not to drink...why would we ? when we see it firsthand?
im learning to let things go and know that no one is going to change ... they have to want to change them selves!

and we all know an alcholic family is one of the backgrounds for a person with anxiety and depression!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 pm

THANK YOU DON

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”