Trichotilamania aka Hair Puller

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
skinpigjess

Post by skinpigjess » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:53 pm

hi :)

i had trichotilamania when i was about 7 till i was about 8. I moved to live with my aunty and uncle after quite a stressful childhood with my mum. it never really affecterd me because i was so young, but i have had a friend for just over 3 years and she also suffers from trichotilamania. she also ate it which is a more severe type of it i think. we're 14 and 15 :P my friend thought that if she didn't pull for a couple days, she could pull extra bits out the next day. she only just recently told her mum because i threatened to tell her. she's still pulling, although not as much :D i hope you can beat trich :D if it's a stress thing or a habit, my counsellor (one of many:P) told me to have rubber bands around my wrist and whenever i felt the need to do it, i'd flick it on my wrist, so that it wouldn't be doing any harm and would bring a new.. bad habit? but it helped and after a while i stopped flicking and pulling, and although i pull every now and again, it's only from a long bad habit :D

i hope you're alright :) it does eally affect your life :)

Sufiza

Post by Sufiza » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:54 am

Hi, I pull out my eyelashes too. Don't feel weird because I'm only ten years old though. I started pulling when I was younger. I stopped for a while, then it came back. I think its Trichotillomania but my parents obviously don't know that and scold me fiercely when they find out I'm pulling again. Help!

darcylee330

Post by darcylee330 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Hey all. I'm new to this site, but I am too a sufferer of trich. It started when I was 10, and I am now 21. I pretty much pulled all types of hair, from every part of my body, and I have broken all habits except my eyelashes. That seems to be the only form of hairpulling that I cannot break though. It is a stress reliever to me and I can't imagine not doing it. Anyone have any suggestions? It is so hard to break a habit that has been going on for so long!

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 am

Wow, I didn't realize how many people suffer from this form of OCD! I don't suffer from Trich myself, but I had a boyfriend who did. He would pull hair from his eyelashes, eyebrows, chest chair, and even his pubic hair! I don't know enough about the condition, but is it normal for sufferers to "eat" the hair that they pull from their bodies? I can remember watching my then boyfriend tugging at his eyelashes and when one came out, he would put it in his mouth. The first time I saw him do this, I freaked out! He denied actually doing it, or at least he was unaware that he did it. I noticed he would do the hair pulling while he was reading the paper or focusing on something on the computer. After a while, I realized that he really wasn't aware he was doing it. I told him that I thought he had a form of OCD, but he refused to seek help saying it was just a bad habit... So does anyone else eat the hair or did he just have an extreme form of the condition?

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Jesus Christ
Matthew 6:27

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”