Disrupting my work

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
emmaslave

Post by emmaslave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 pm

Yesterday my boss took me out to lunch and told me that I am really going downhill and that I need to get out of my head. This really upset me. She honestly had no idea how bad my ocd is right now! I have been on Zoloft for 11 days. I have never been on meds before and this is all new to me, and yes it is very disruptive! I'm pretty upset. I know it is affecting my life! and oh yeah a can't sleep either, so thats not helping my anxiety either! Has anyone else had this experience before?

emmaslave

Post by emmaslave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:42 pm

also,I am going to therapy and no I don't want this to run my life but it is right now and I am just trying to cope and learn how to deal with all of this. This all started full blown, the day after Christmas. This is all new and confusing to me.

diva

Post by diva » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:34 am

Is your employer a sensitive person? Do they also know that you are having a hard time?

I just want you to know that you can take leave of absences from jobs for depression (medical reason) and such and can't be fired upon return. Maybe your employer just doesn't understand what you are going through and they may never if they have the personality of "just snap out of it". I'm sorry you are going through this. You will get better though.

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:17 am

I think it is amazing how some people can be so heartless at times. I mean, I remember my father one time said something like "you gotta get back on this planet or world" or something to that nature and when I hung up the phone I just stared at my husband and cried and just could not believe what I heard. There was also a time, years ago, I was getting panic attacks at work and I finally quit and headed to another state to stay with my Mom and Dad for awhile. But I remember crying in the bathroom and co-workers trying to help but there was always that one that would be like "What's wrong with you, just be happy, snap out of it...." etc. etc. I really wish I knew then what I know now about anxiety. All I can say is try to relax and keep telling yourself you will feel better soon. Keep saying it so you'll believe it b/c it is true, you will. Good Luck.

lulu84

Post by lulu84 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 am

hey there, just wanted to let you know that almost,if not, EVERYONE with anxiety goes thru this road first before the healing starts. when i first entered into this wonderful world of overthinking and panic attacks, out of my own ignorance to the disease-no, condition-no, challenge-yes, i fell into a depression. it got so bad, i quit my job, left school, and did what? you got it-HID. i hid at home, and went to therapy sessions and wouldnt you know it, the therapist said it was all in my head- GO FIGURE. anyways, between doctor visits and therapy, i was now unemployed and broke. its months later now and i am doing just fine. i am no longer afraid of it, the depression is gone and i am living a pretty normal life. i started a work at home program that allows me to return to school FULL TIME, and save up to open m business. listen, just remain as positive as you can, i know its a challenge but i PROMISE this challenge is only as strong as the strength you give it, and with enough termination, you will be as free as a bird. God bless, take care.

kntrykutie

Post by kntrykutie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 am

My boss did something very similar a couple of months ago when I started having problems. I was amazed that she could be so insensitive. I was having panic attacks and had taken three days off work. On the third day she called me on my cell phone and said she was calling because she was "worried about me." Then, she proceeded to tell me that I needed to "get over it" and "move on!" I was very hurt by her comments. Plus, she gave me something else to worry about!! I had always felt that I had a good relationship with my boss and now it felt like I had done something wrong and she was really disappointed in me. Just hang in there. I'm not able to make it better--but just know that you are not alone. Take Care.

diva

Post by diva » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:54 am

Hmmm...I remember my Dad asking what was wrong with me one day. I just started crying and said "I feel like I am going crazy". He said to me "Well, the only one who's going to make you crazy is you". Then he turned around and walked out the door to go to work. Talk about feeling heartbroken.

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:38 am

Back this November, I had an endocrinologist tell me I was feeling anxiety because I had some "issue" going on that he felt did not need a therapist or med, but there was "something" that I needed to work on to rid of the anxiety.

AHHHH, DUH! Too much thyroid medication will produce anxiety symptoms. I asked him this and he disagreed. But my regular MD said too much thyroid med can make one nervous or anxious and my girlfriend that has hyperthyroid says she gets anxious when her thyroid is too fast.

It did not freak me out but talk about saying things that potentially could make someone feel bad, scared. On my own I cut my thyroid medication and I feel normal again! Needless to say, I will NEVER go back to see this doctor that should have kept his 2 cents! ;) It is because of this program that what he said did not phase me. I know you all will get to this point.

When we feel weak we are more vulnerable so what is said is bad or not nice, but then it is magnified even more and hurts so bad, then we just think and think and think about it some more.It is disruptive and it stinks! I have been there. We are very sensitive. It is NOT right the way your boss was insensitive, but it is all about production at most jobs. Can you take some time, a medical leave or a week vacation? Maybe just a little time away from the office may help clear your mind and get the pressure off. I do hope you are feeling better.
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:42 am

The good news is your Boss thinks highly enough of you, and seems to value you as an employee enough to initiate the conversation with you. Not many people are that furtunite. Hang in their and work with the program. I know you'll pull through

emmaslave

Post by emmaslave » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 am

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate it very much! I went to a very nice psychiatrist today who uped my Zoloft and gave me a really good sleep aid. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that I sleep tonight! I am going on 3 days now with little to no sleep. I feel like I'm on drugs or something.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”