Does anxiety damage the brain?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
pecos

Post by pecos » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:28 am

Did not intend to ruin anyone's day, so I have edited and deleted these links from this site since they are pretty scientific (National Academy of Science). I have transferred them over to a different site on a separate forum for anyone who wants to read them.
Last edited by pecos on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:40 am

Well that's pretty depressing; I must say. I think I could have done without reading that.

I was hoping that some of my memory and clarity of thought would improve now that I'm working on getting better. I know one thing is for sure, I'm not going to take antidepressants.

My problems are more anxiety than depression but I'm sure it all relates.

I didn't have time to carefully read, but from what I saw it is exactly the oposite of what I wanted to hear.

But thanks for pointing at something with medical proof. Excuse me while I go back to bed. LOL (just kidding!!!!)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:39 am

LOL after reading Faith's post I think I will hold off on reading those studies , pecos. .ha ha. I easily get upset. But thank you. . SOme people may find it helpful on here!
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Sweet Stephanie Sunshine

Post by Sweet Stephanie Sunshine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:14 am

Originally posted by Onix:

You will newer go crazy, that is a fact. Anxiety can't damage your brain that's a fact. You can only loose your concentration when feeling anxious, and that improves when you are more relaxed. [QUOTE]

Onix,
Thank you so much for saying that! I really have issues with that and I needed to hear that it will improve. I know it, I just needed to be reassured :) That is the biggest reason why I don't drive, because I can lose my concentration so much :) . I know deep inside, there is still hope for me too.
Stephanie from The Sunshine State

"Today is a gift wrapped up in endless sunshine, Untie the sparkle!"

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Just scary thoughts. Thats all it is. I am over this scary thought and I did have it real bad. But Lesson 10 got me over it. You will not loose your mind or go crazy and anxiety doesn't damage your brain. It just feels like it when you are having an episode. Lesson 10 will help.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Originally posted by pecos:
Did not intend to ruin anyone's day, so I have edited and deleted these links from this site since they are pretty scientific (National Academy of Science). I have transferred them over to a different site on a separate forum for anyone who wants to read them.
Pecos. . .I am so sorry. . . I should have worded that differently. I didn't mean to offend you I was trying to be funny and it didn't come out that way.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Onix

Post by Onix » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:40 am

Hi Stephanie :)

Things can definetley get alot better. I had such a low concentration that I couldn't eaven read a sentence. But that is because of anxiety, you can't focus on one thing because your mind races so much. For me to get better meds and CBT were very helpful. It isn't what we think that is the problem, its how we explain it to ourself that makes us anxious.

EileenV

Post by EileenV » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:01 am

For many years I've heard people comment on how important it is to continue educating ourselves throughout our entire life. Take classes or read books or participate in any subject for your entire life. I guess it is suppose to keep your mind "tarp as a shack" :D Maybe it helps to keep the brain healthy...???

:)

jaj

Post by jaj » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 am

Hi Pecos,
I was very interested in the articles on this topic, I can no longer find the links to these studies. Could you email the links to me?
Thanks

pecos

Post by pecos » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:04 am

Hi jaj. Several people have PM'd me recently asking for those links. I told them they were on an old thread in the Depression Forum. Some still had trouble finding them, so because you are also interested, I've bumped that thread to the top of the Depression Forum, and hope all who've asked for them can now easily find the links. Pecos

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”