Being assertive

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
good82life

Post by good82life » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:32 pm

Today I tried to be assertive will a pizza manager. I was anticipating it and was really scard. Then I told myself its just ansiety im safe and it helped. I was writing what I was going to say it still felt relly hard like i cluldnt do it I didnt want to mess up

Then I knew that my expetations were to high. i told myself I dont have to be perfect and it seemed to free me up. I felt really unconfertable with it. I told myself im just going to do it. I feel like I started off really good then toward the end of my statmemt I felt it wasnt that assertive. I feel ok I feel like I failed a little bit but I did it

iHope

Post by iHope » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:57 pm

You Asserted Yourself! Was this your first "assertive" action? Good either way!
You said you "failed a bit"...we are too critical of ourselves. Tho you did "catch" yourself before hand; and told yourself you didn't need to be perfect (good). We need to keep applying what we've learned. For me it is not easy. But I know I can improve and it will feel less overwhelming (with every episode) because I have seen change.
A step forward (even when it doesn't meet our extreme expectation) still it is progress forward.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”