Need Confidence

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
MsPurple

Post by MsPurple » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:15 am

I have a job interview this week. This is my first interview since I lost my last job and I'm so nervous! I would say "I couldn't be more nervous", but that's not true. I'm doing OK. I'm just anxious about the result. I mean, I know I'll do OK during the interview. I know I'll stumble and forget what I'm saying and I know I probably won't say the right thing every time, but that's OK. I'm just nervous about the result...

What will she think of me? What kind of impression will I make? Will she hire me for this job? How do I make her see I'm the right person for the job? What will the other teachers say? Will they like me enough this week? (I'm spending the week with the team I would be working with taking teacher's places so they can test students) How can I make a good impression on them? Am I handling these situations right? What can I do better? Am I prepared for my interview? What do I say about my last job? Do I tell them I was asked to resign? AAAAHHH! I need this job!!!!! How do I get that across without being needy?

Ok, maybe I just needed to vent. I know I'll feel better when I'm at home, but for now I'm a little nervous.

I'm going to try to write down all the positive things I can think of about myself. I'll do that today and keep it with me. I also thought of asking my friends and family (so, like 3 people) to write down a few good things I can carry around with me. I think they would be supportive of the fact that I'm trying to change my negative habits.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:13 am

For me I found a job doing carictures at a bar down in the University area of the UofA. This was only for a party and a one night affair. Still I was so worried that the people would have a fit after seeing what a terrible job I'd do to their faces that I wanted to back out of it. But I didn't and I had a blast, too. All those stinkin' thoughts I filled my mind with never came about. I really don't have an answer to you're demilma other than bite the bullet and just do it and put the outcome in Gods hands. This week I went out to talk to a business owner about suggestions he could make to me about getting my cartooning business off the ground and instead after viewing samples of my work he now wants to have me do up some Ads in the paper Advertising his business in a cartoonish way. So you see You never know what's going to happen until you do it! And again I tried to talk myself out of going fearing the worst. But so happy that I did. Good luck with your interview. I had one of those some years ago and with a pannel of people to talk to and for them to ask me all sorts of questions to which I got the job but resigned later after I felt I wasn't well suited for the position. I'm not ready for a desk job as I soon discovered. And I wouldn't of learned this until later and had I not gone through the learning experience.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:36 am

Yeah, I did go to the interview and everything went fine. They seemed very impressed with everything I had to show them and they all kept laughing because my personality is the same as the team leader. I said all the right things and they were smiling and laughing. They said they wanted to make a decision immediately, but I'm at that school today too and they haven't said anything to me.

I've almost convinced myself that since they haven't offered me the job yet, they won't.
I know it's only been 1 day, but I guess I was hoping I impressed them so much they would offer me the job the next day. I don't expect to hear from them if I DON'T get the job, so I guess I'll just keep waiting. Waiting sucks, though, because I keep obsessing about what happened in the interview and about any little signs I may have gotten that might mean I'll get it. But now I keep telling myself I won't.

When I get home, my fiance will help me keep things in perspective. He'll probably say, "You're being ridiculous. Maybe you got it, maybe you didn't, but STOP worrying about it. There's nothing you can do, so go about your business and if they offer it to you, great! If not, whatever." Well, I think even typing what he would say might have helped a bit. I still feel a little depressed, though. I've put in a lot of time and effort this week, and if I don't get that job, I'll feel like it was all worthless.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:04 pm

please keep us posted, C.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:18 pm

to carlyon,hi carlyon, i forgot how to send mail to you buti need you to do me a favor if you will please ,david told me in donvence what happen aobut all that was baned in convenceok but will you please called davu (david hall) pleasei am so sorry aobut him he was tlaking aobut taking his life, for he said he had nothing to do with this whne he email me and he also said he backout of all of what ever happen befroe it all went down but then he saying he deos not care that u all d ont not have no feelings for him that whatu did to him was not fair beens he had nothing to do with it .like itold davidi was there and i seen nothing soi can or can not say rather davu is telling me the truth or not but he says this is his home away from,home this is his life he has nofamily and or no ne and no where to go to and etc .and now u have took his life away from him .look carlyoni am not here to take up or to take away all iam asking from you is to please call him talk to him and make sure he isok please will you do this for mei have such a tenderspot in my heart for peoplel ike hi,m and yesi am totally worry aobut him if u will vall him to see if he is ok and all and let him tell u his side then thats all iam askingok pleaase hope u all are still watching for carol H. too thank you carlyon and God Bless you andi hate all this had to ocme to this take care and thanks again all my love hugs and prayers always sue Hensley(susie) from chat please will you email me preacherskid64 @hotmail and all i want to know if he is stillok and alive thats all than you so much byee :(

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 am

I didn't get the job. The principal told me she was checking references and when I subbed there last Friday, I saw a lady moving into the classroom. So, yeah, I don't think I got it.

She called me yesterday and left a message saying they did fill the position and she hopes I continue to consider her school in the future. I wasn't planning to apply to that school again, but now that she said that, there might be a chance I could get an interview for the next position they post. Who knows?

I was really upset when I got home last Friday. Since I'd seen someone moving into the room, I felt awful! I went home and cried and got SUPER depressed thinking, "I'm just a sub...I'm worthless...trying hard and doing my best is pointless...they don't care about me...I'll never find a job..."

My finace was very understanding and told me that if he was a principal, he'd hire me in a heartbeat! That made me feel much better and I was able to move on.

I'm doing OK and I'm still trying. My dad told me something he heard once, "be ready to send out 50 resumes before you get an interview and be ready to go on 4 interviews before you get a job." That puts my efforts into perspective. I just have to send out 50 more resumes to get another interview! I can do that!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 pm

There is a book call "Dying of embarassment" is about that kind of thoughts you describe:
)

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”