Learning to trust yourself

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
DEPS1

Post by DEPS1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:29 am

This session is one I go back to from time to time because I need to be reminded to keep being assertive. Backing down for a lifetime is a hard habit to break but I'm changing and making progress. I started the program a year ago and it took me 9 months to complete the lessons. Now I am going through again and learning more each time. This week I was able to make an impromptu presentation in front of my co-workers. My heart felt like it would beat through my chest but my voice did not quaver and I said what I wanted to say. And I didn't die or obsess about what I had said! It was a victory. I also stood up for myself when I was overcharged for a cup of soup. A small but important step toward respecting myself.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 am

hello . what a great story to read today! Way to go! you were fabulous! I'm on week 7 for the first time. I've taken some baby steps and felt good about myself because of doing it. Taking the first step seems to be okay, but dissecting it mentally afterward is the challenge for me - did I use the right tone of voice? Were my eyes shifting? should I have said something else or did I say too much? Thanks for your encouraging story.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”