Hi

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Hiya~

Post by Hiya~ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site! I started the program about 4 years ago, and sort of trailed off before finishing.

Here's where I'm at, and I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys if you have something to say~

I'm 28. I struggled with anxiety through out college, because I never wanted to take the suppressed and conventional route. Yet I did. I think I'm naturally a bit shy, and my parents are naturally overbearing and not supportive, so it was a funky mix.

I graduated from college at 25, getting a degree in a field I could care less about. I feel great, and ready to get a job in that will truly support me, financially and emotionally (in that I won't hate it).

Actually, I'm kind of nervous. Because the job I'd love to have I feel like I don't have the support for, because I feel no-one, family nor friends, views me as independent. I'm doing things to change this perception, by being more loving and assertive. My folks have been out of town for a few weeks, and let me tell you, I can breathe! I know my life is my responsibility, so I'm taking it on!

I have serious physical reactions to stress and anxiety, which has kept me from pursuing my goals. My parents are returning back home after being gone for a few weeks.

Can you guys give me some advice? I want to ensure I keep my momentum going, have privacy around my parents, be treated with respect, and have an honest conversation with my folks, if that's what's needed. (And if you know of a job working outdoors, I'll be there tomorrow!)

It's kind of a lot, but I guess I'm kind of looking for support that I can do my own thing, and one little thing won't throw the whole train off the track.

Thanks~

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey Hiya -

Actually, it sounds like you've already got things pretty well figured out. So the best I can offer is encouragement; go for it! You don't need anyone's permission to be successful except your own. Best of luck to you.

Jamie
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”